Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had this radio reconditioned by Becker. Intermittently would come on. Now this crypto crap. Any thought? Yes, you can bet your ass I will be in touch with them.
Radio Fubar.jpg

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 1987 560 SL | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,482 Posts
Just had this radio reconditioned by Becker. Intermittently would come on. Now this crypto crap. Any thought? Yes, you can bet your ass I will be in touch with them.
View attachment 2700157
Funny. That's what mine looked like BEFORE sending to Becker. Not after.

They should warranty it

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1986 560SL
202 Posts
I appreciate that many owners prefer to keep their 560 SLs authentic, such as this. However, being no purist myself, just an hour ago powered-up my new JVC CD tuner with Bluetooth, USB, etc. Sounds great too.

·
Registered
1988 560SL (R107)
4 Posts
Just got my Bluetooth upgraded Becker and love it. They have a warranty so reach out to them

·
Registered
95 SL600
293 Posts
I’m sure they replace the needed parts to get it functioning, but as with any old thing, a different part probably took a dive.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Bluetec | 1987 560 SL | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
1,482 Posts
I appreciate that many owners prefer to keep their 560 SLs authentic, such as this. However, being no purist myself, just an hour ago powered-up my new JVC CD tuner with Bluetooth, USB, etc. Sounds great too.
What's a CD?

The Becker mod adds BT functionality to the old HU. That's all you need these days. After that, only thing that matters is what speakers you're running.

PO replaced my dash speakers, which are okay, but only so much sound comes out of small speakers, so I took the front door tweeter and woofers (that I kept after retrofitting the HK speakers) from my w166 and put them in the rear deck. Sounds as good as any modern HU IMHO.

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
575 Posts
How quickly does the BT connect after power up? I’ve seen some pretty horrible BT implementations. My Impreza requires about eight taps on the head unit to reconnect every time (although it’s possible I’m just doing it wrong).

The Impreza will also take a 64 GB USB flash drive and just random play which makes for some interesting playlists…

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
How quickly does the BT connect after power up? I’ve seen some pretty horrible BT implementations. My Impreza requires about eight taps on the head unit to reconnect every time (although it’s possible I’m just doing it wrong).

The Impreza will also take a 64 GB USB flash drive and just random play which makes for some interesting playlists…
My Becker BT? Within 5 seconds of power up.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
That’s impressive. I think I’ll likely go this way too.

You can get prefab boards that do the USB thing for $5 so might try that as a fun side project.
I also use an app called MacroDroid where I created a script to launch SiriusXM app on my phone when it connects to the Becker BT. Pretty seamless

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
575 Posts
So true. It came with a CD drive, although I'm unlikely to use it. As long as it's got AM/FM radio, USB and Bluetooth for music and phone calls; I'm covered.
I’ve actually collected a nice little selection of cassette tapes, further cementing my desire to keep the Becker. As an added bonus, they prop up the armrest when moving the seat so it doesn’t get caught on the console.

·
Registered
1988 560SL 50K
753 Posts
Not seeing that PattersonRjr has posted a follow-up. the quick answer was "if it's not dashes, you need to send it back". But would not really apply as by '88 should be a 780 which didn't have the security feature. Assuming he has the correct one for 1988.

Dashes means a security error. Anything else means it needs fixing. But assume he is dealing the Becker Autosound so aside from the hassle, they are good folks and will make it right.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Becker has agreed to fix it under warranty. I just need to figure out how to remove it. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I read in an earlier post that you just remove the ashtray and access the radio from the bottom. I am guessing there there was a significant difference between the 1986 & 1988. Cause this...
Radio.jpg

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
927 Posts
There is no difference. Yes, remove the ashtray. Then remove the two phillips head screws that secure the HVAC panel in place. Remove the glovebox liner by pushing out the 4 plastic retainers (2 on top, and 2 on the bottom. Looking at the right rear of the Becker's housing, see if the rear rubber support is present. If so, unscrew, and remove it. Then depress the 2 retainer clips at the front botttom of the Becker and pull it out. You only need to depress the clips enough so that the Becker's mounting seats clear them. Then continue to pull it away, being careful to pull the connectors from the rear as you do.

Here is a vid that I had found when installing my 753. It should help you:

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
927 Posts
Glad to help. It helped me too because I was converting back to the Becker from another radio. After watching the vid I realized that the clips, and side mounting "screw" were missing. Luckily I was able to locate them via my local Benz junkyard, and Mercedes Classic (the side mount screw/grommet).

One thing, though. Watching the vid again, I noticed that he said to push the metal clips at the front base of the radio UP in order to free it. This is not correct. You need to push their ends (tabs) Down, and hold them down while you pull the radio outward past it's clip detents.

The clips are "spring loaded" to assume their upward locked position. The small plastic tabs on top of the plate locate the top of the plate into position when reinstalling it.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to help. It helped me too because I was converting back to the Becker from another radio. After watching the vid I realized that the clips, and side mounting "screw" were missing. Luckily I was able to locate them via my local Benz junkyard, and Mercedes Classic (the side mount screw/grommet).

One thing, though. Watching the vid again, I noticed that he said to push the metal clips at the front base of the radio UP in order to free it. This is not correct. You need to push their ends (tabs) Down, and hold them down while you pull the radio outward past it's clip detents.

The clips are "spring loaded" to assume their upward locked position. The small plastic tabs on top of the plate locate the top of the plate into position when reinstalling it.
I thought lifting the clips up seemed odd. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Premium Member
1988 560SL, TRQ
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the radio back today. Becker AutoSound was kind enough to return with a Security Screw. Since it didn't have one when I removed it I looking for correct installation. See pictures below. Does the flange of the rubber part go inside or outside of the bracket. Thanks.

Bracket
Sec Screw 1.jpg

Security Screw attached.
Sec Screw 2.jpg

Unattached.

Sec Screw 3.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts