Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm new here, but I would appreciate some help.

In June I acquired a 2000 Mercedes E430 with about 80,000 miles on it. It has been impeccably cared for and it's hard to believe it's been driven at all sometimes. I'm very, very happy with it.

Downsides? It's 2014 and it has a cassette player. I resisted it for a while and suffered in silence, but then I decided to embrace it. The only cassette I knew I had was my dad's copy of the soundtrack for Judgement Night that I played on repeat for a week or so. The other day my friend called me and told me he got me a present. It turns out that he found a cassette copy of the soundtrack for Space Jam. I was ecstatic, as that's a childhood favorite of mine (can you believe it's still not on Netflix? I've emailed them like four times). I popped it in and only made it through "I Believe I Can Fly" before I pressed rewind. Then things got weird.

Space Jam jammed a little too hard it seems! All of the radio functions were preserved, but the display was stuck on "Rewind." It wasn't rewinding, it just said it was. After some Googling (mostly hitting this awesome forum) I checked the fuses (all fine) and did a battery pull (the previous owner supplied me with a Post-It with the radio code written on it, so I wasn't worried). Then, lo and behold, the radio is completely dead. No screen, no radio, no nothing. The only function that STILL works is opening the cassette door (it ejected Space Jam, thank goodness) but I was only able to because I remembered which button it was.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any help you can offer!

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
How about the fuse on the car?

The next will be to make contact to the momentary on switch on the radio at the bottom of the circuit board.

Martin

·
Registered
2000 E430
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
try verifying with DVM that you have power in the harness going into the head unit.

should probably perform DVM check in the fuse block as well
Alright, so I tested the voltage across power and ground on the wiring harness to the head unit. It read ~12V. So does this mean that I've got a dead radio? Any idea as to what may have killed it (aside from Space Jam)?

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
4,977 Posts
q: when you checked the fuses, was it done visually, or did you perform a
continuity test across the blades? on rare occasion, they appear okay but
in fact may have suffered a hairline fracture

q: any friends with similar model car which would allow you to swap out and
try their head unit on your harness?

opinion: unlikely Space Jam crippled it. rap...or country western...but i doubt Space Jam ;)

·
Registered
2000 E430
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With all relevant fuses I checked visually and then replaced them just to be sure (I had some brand new ones laying around).

Also, no friends with a similar model car unfortunately. Any tests you know of to see if it's dead?

Thanks for your help, by the way!

·
Registered
E430 w/Sport Package, Black
692 Posts
Hi, I am not sure about your radio problem, but if you are whining about the tape player, is there not a Cd changer in the trunk? I never use the tape in my 430... Check for the cd changer in the trunk on the left side... The audio quality will be better with a cd!

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
You have the radio with the fold down cassette door?

Martin

·
Registered
2000 E430
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, I am not sure about your radio problem, but if you are whining about the tape player, is there not a Cd changer in the trunk? I never use the tape in my 430... Check for the cd changer in the trunk on the left side... The audio quality will be better with a cd!
No CD changer. :(

You have the radio with the fold down cassette door?

Martin
Yes, I do.

·
Registered
692 Posts
No CD changer. :(

Yes, I do.
Hey. I just saw that you are a graduate of Aerospace engineering! I am want to go into Aeronautical engineering because I am into planes! Right now am in a community college still doing general ed. And I am taking a couple of AERO classes...how was your experience throughout the major? Lot of work right?

·
Registered
2000 E430
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey. I just saw that you are a graduate of Aerospace engineering! I am want to go into Aeronautical engineering because I am into planes! Right now am in a community college still doing general ed. And I am taking a couple of AERO classes...how was your experience throughout the major? Lot of work right?
Sure enough! AE is hard and lots of work but, like most higher education, worth it. I'm in grad school now and I would definitely recommend it for AE unless you like lots of Excel. :grin None of my work is in atmospheric stuff, so aside from aerodynamics classes I'm afraid I can't add much perspective there. I decided to aim toward space as opposed to aircraft.

Every school is different, but at my University AE and EE are the majors that separate the men from the boys. High drop-out and major-change rates, but it's exactly those things that make it such a valuable education.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sure enough! AE is hard and lots of work but, like most higher education, worth it. I'm in grad school now and I would definitely recommend it for AE unless you like lots of Excel. :grin None of my work is in atmospheric stuff, so aside from aerodynamics classes I'm afraid I can't add much perspective there. I decided to aim toward space as opposed to aircraft.

Every school is different, but at my University AE and EE are the majors that separate the men from the boys. High drop-out and major-change rates, but it's exactly those things that make it such a valuable education.
Definitely, hard work and dedication is required! So the main classes you took were aerodynamic classes? Because I am also taking those right now.

·
7,949 Posts
I will get you a picture of this on the circuit board..Where to touch the contacts to qualify if you just need a new volume control, or your radio is shot...

MArtin

·
Registered
2000 E430
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely, hard work and dedication is required! So the main classes you took were aerodynamic classes? Because I am also taking those right now.
I took two aero classes as a requirement, sure. I used all my electives for orbital mechanics and such.

I will get you a picture of this on the circuit board..Where to touch the contacts to qualify if you just need a new volume control, or your radio is shot...

MArtin
Thank you!!

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon
41 Posts
Chaps, my 2c.

If the radio has a problem, throw it away. Seriously, while it's nice to keep the original interior intact, having a Bluetooth receiver is an infinitely better proposition. Fully integrates your phone so that you can have hands free. Allows navigation directions to be voiced over the cars speakers. Sick of FM? No problem, welcome to Pandora (or whatever internet service you'd prefer). These receivers are smart too, music (or radio) will be default unless nav commands are being spoken. Both music and nav will be silenced if a call comes in.

It's hard to quite grasp how useful the whole thing is until you try it.

Look here: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX598/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X598.html?showAll=N&search=KDC-X598&skipvs=T

·
Registered
2000 E430
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't disagree at all! I've considered it, but I wouldn't mind keeping the stock appearance and I'm on a grad school budget so I would like just being able to fix the existing unit.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 W210 1976 300D W115
53 Posts
Radio dead on 2000 E430

Experienced the Same with my radio (yours also is a Becker). I went through all the same steps checking power to fuses etc.

I was 1st considering a new radio from a big box electronics store. They had a nice looking sounding radio with all the whistles and bells ( Bluetooth , Xradio etc.)
All sounded good until I started asking questions. 1) It Can't tie into the volume , channel changing steering wheel controls. It also would not display the stations on the information display . Additionally, it would not
tie into the 6 CD changer in my trunk .

So my options 1. buy the radio above and live with the non-controls 2. Buy used ie Ebay etc. 3. Repair.

#1 Not for me, I like the original logical (to me) set up
#2Do your home work if your going to buy used just because they have the same cover look doesn't mean it will fit your 2000 model . My 2001 replacement was far and few and don't forget its still used ( got codes ?). They are out there.
#3 What I did. Repair. We are so use to a trash and throw away. I want it to work as it was originally designed to do. Becker Autosound (beckerautosound.com) repairs everything from a RR to VW they specialize in Euro car makes. I didn't like their price ($250 w/1yr warranty) but they do a good job and everything works.

Good Luck
MB_LEE

1 - 20 of 32 Posts