Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E-350
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting to perhaps help others

On a cross country trip, my nav stopped working. When I got home, after removing and replacing the fuse in the trunk near the Nav unit, the radio died as well !

Shop traced it to a broken fiber optic cable under the back seat-trunk area, where it passed over a somewhat sharp edge. Seems odd that MB would have done that, but it lasted for years, but we rarely have any one the back seat. This trip, I had weight on the back seat for the entire trip.

Fortunately, shop was able to splice in a new piece of cable, and all was restored. Diagnostics were expensive, repair not so much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Posting to perhaps help others
... my nav stopped working ... the radio died as well !
Hi Pete, I have the same vehicle, and also think I crushed the fiber optic cable. My question is whether your head unit acted in a similar manner to mine: Upon pressing PWR no sound is present, but the screen lights up with MB logo like usual, but on the screen, the contrast increases to a washed out grey and then the unit seems to clip power resulting in the black off screen...

·
Registered
2006 E-350
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pete, I have the same vehicle, and also think I crushed the fiber optic cable. My question is whether your head unit acted in a similar manner to mine: Upon pressing PWR no sound is present, but the screen lights up with MB logo like usual, but on the screen, the contrast increases to a washed out grey and then the unit seems to clip power resulting in the black off screen...
First thing that happened was that my GPS went out somewhere near Chicago, heading back to Calif. Later after pulling the fuse, the screen would light up with the MBZ logo, and nothing worked. Fortunately this was after I got back home to SoCal. Guess I shouldn't have carried that case of Calif wine (gifts) on the left rear seat!

The shop insisted I needed a replacement head unit (in dash), but I am somewhat dubious about that. They also said I needed a replacement nav disk, but I did not.
FYI 2015 is the last NAV disk available, and I got it on fleaBay for $10.

It is good to know that they can splice in a replacement for the broken fiber optic cable. Maybe you have a friend who works for uVerse/AT&T. I haven't a clue how the shop was able to diagnose the fault.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts