Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radio won't work. I picked up my car from the panel shop yesterday and now the radio is not working. They must have disconnected the battery and not reset the radio code. I do not have the card with the code. The dealer and panel shop are closed for the weekend. Is there anyway I can access the code from a web site or 'secret' panel (LOL) in the car? Also what is the procedure for resetting the code?

·
Registered
35,643 Posts
The only "legal" way I can think about it today is call roadside assistance telling them, that battery went dead. They can come with new battery and radio codes.
When they arrive tell them, that you found bad connection on the battery, but still need radio code. Write it on pink slip for the future.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can call the dealer then they can tell you your code after you're verified your informations. Make sure you are the owner (not a stealer...)

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
He's

in Australia and the dealer is closed till monday and i don't think they have road side there,so he will have to wait radioless till monday.Then he can go to or call the dealer.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've finally got the code but the dealer wasn't sure how to enter the code. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
35,643 Posts
You can spend couple hours trying different procedures, or read the manual.
Unless you forgot to mention, that you don't have the manual, like you forgot to mention you are in Australia?
Details like that do make the difference.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Kajtek,

Mate, I have always endeavoured to be positive and couteous on this forum. If there has been an oversight on my part , I apologise. I appreciate your initial advice but your second response was not necessary. The sarcasm was inappropriate and unwarranted.

Now for the details - 1.We do have roadside assistance in Australia. I would not call roadside assistance and solve my problem that way. It just would not be the decent thing to do.
2. I do have a manual but the manual does not explain what to do.

3. I simply cannot see how, in this instance, mentioning that I live in Australia is going to make any difference. If for some reason, it would have made your advice more profound, I stand corrected on this point.

I have since solved the problem. A very polite Merc service manager (found one that was working today) explained the procedure and it worked beautifully. I did not have to lie or waste anyone's time.

Cheers mate.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Okiloveu,

Thanks for the advice mate. It was exactly what the service manager told me to do. I read your email after I spoke to the service manager but you were spot on. You know your stuff.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
laksa

K knows his stuff also,and if a bit off today it is probably because a lot of questions that he replys to don't have profiles filled in and sometimes it really does make a difference where the member is in the world.At times, days of threads have gone to naught when it is finally brought up that the car in trouble is located in Some far off land with no access to any of the parts suppliers suggested.:thumbsup:
Glad you got it going.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand. A simple explanation would have sufficed minus the attitude but hey we move on. Thanks for your input. I really do appreciate it guys.

Cheers:)

·
Registered
35,643 Posts
Kajtek,

Mate, I have always endeavoured to be positive and couteous on this forum. If there has been an oversight on my part , I apologise. I appreciate your initial advice but your second response was not necessary. The sarcasm was inappropriate and unwarranted.

3. I simply cannot see how, in this instance, mentioning that I live in Australia is going to make any difference. If for some reason, it would have made your advice more profound, I stand corrected on this point.
So take a note, that American manuals do cover radio codeing as well as there is nothing wrong with calling roadside assistance when you need it. It is "free" at the time of call, but we pay for it in outrageous spare part markups (like $160 for MB battery v/s $70 at local warehouse for one with 4-times longer warranty).
By using the priviledge I don't mean abusing it. Had tenants who having free towing with AAA (auto club) have seen no need to upkeep their cars and used "free ride" as much as twice a week. AAA changed the priviledges later.
So IMHO the series of problems you had are specific for Australia and Australia only. Not mentioning that wouldn't be honest, would it?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
There is no reason to be hostile, MB automobiles have different radios and the radios have changed from model to model. The dealer network has access to the codes, and on a typical roadside assistance, that has to do with a defective battery or a rund own battery the tech has access to the code,at least during working hours. MBUSA tech are on call 24/7 and have access to the parts department. I dont see a crisis in not having ones radio not work over a weekend.
It might be a little dishonest to call "roadside" but it is built into MB pricing structure and is the one of few if not only manufacturer I think that provides the service post warranty to any owner, or driver.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have since updated my profile to show my location. Let's move on.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Cool

now if we can figure out why a w210 in Australia costs 3 times what we can buy them for in the states,I will sleep tonight.:thumbsup:
Is everything that much?or just used mercedes.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
wow

high robbery:(

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Mercs in OZ are phenomenally expensive - leave it to the economists to explain that one. Our population is lower hence our markets are smaller hence we don't seem to enjoy the range of goods (range of mercs are good) you guys enjoy in the States. I've never been to the US but from what I hear and read - shopping in the US is amazing. The variety and service seem far superior and the prices a lot more reasonable.:thumbsup:

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
After trying a few codes I found and having to "WAIT" I went to the Dealership with my registration in hand and got the right code. I'm a happier person now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
allreality
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing