Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ML320
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for some reason my radio spit out the tape and code light came on

I wasn't the one driving it for last couple of days, and I'm pretty sure no one has removed battery or anything

but, still, its a 1998 ML320, any help before I ask dealer? do they charge for the code? Mitsubishi dealer wanted almost $300 and I said "are you insane? for $300 i can get a VERY nice MP3 player from Alpine or Eclipse" ... so I hope history doesn't repeat itself

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
You actually can get the code from the dealer for about $50.

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Unless your dealer is a cut throat moron, you ought to be able to get it with no charge by simply taking in your vehicle VIN and ID.

At least, that's the way it works here . . . it's a 2 minute process for them to go on line, enter the VIN and pull up the code.

I would never return to a dealer that would charge for this service...

Just my .02

Regards-

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,255 Posts
Also, if you kept your service reciepts, some dealers will print the code in the "comments" section of the invoice.

- RODNEY

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,255 Posts
Each radio’s code is unique (well, there may be some duplications, but trying anyone else’s code would be about the same as trying random numbers). I'm sure every shop's invoices are a little different, but on Crown’s, it's in the top section of every page, where all the vehicle details (VIN, model, year, etc.) are printed. It’s in a block labeled “notes� or “comments� and clearly states: “RADIO CODE: xxxxx�. I know other dealers that do the same thing. It just makes it easier for the technician to not have to look it up in NetStar each time they D/C the battery. By the way, if you go to the dealer for this, I would recommend going to the sales department as they can look it up in NetStar/Vista just as easily as service, and would not be as inclined to try to charge you.

- RODNEY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts