Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The radiator fan on my V280 refuses to come on. When the van is moving, there's no problem. However, once static in traffic, it very quickly heats up and I have to pull over and let it cool down.
Any ideas?:crybaby2:

·
Registered
v230 ambernite 1997
54 Posts
Could try checking the fuse in the engine bay behind the fan, mine went once (v230) think it was a 20Amp or similar locatted in a little balck box

313 4x4 ,E320 CDI X 4,A160,A170 CDI ,W123,420 SEL,S420 L,420SEC,230,SLK230K, C180 ,C200,C230K, C230K
234 Posts
as before check fuses then check conectors to fan, and possibly fan switch, these vitos corode at the the joints

·
Registered
99 V280 Ambiante
4 Posts
The fan switch is screwed directly into the rad. The bugger is that it is a dealer only part and will cost you 48 quid. I know because I purchased one last week and then found out it was a coroded wiring loom on mine and merc wont take the bit back. Long story short If the switch is the prob I have a brand new boxed genuine merc one you can have for 30 quid if you need one. Just send me a message if you do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that. The 2 things wrong with my V280 were the Radiator fan and the collapse of the rear air suspension. The suspension was resting on the bump stops! I have decided to bite the bullet and convert back to conventional springs. The conversion kit, which costs only £135 delivered apparently takes only 30 minutes or so to do. I got terrific advise from a lovely bloke called Jason I believe. Apparently he sold all the good parts from his air suspension and got enough to pay for the springs!! I have ordered the speings from Prestige Auto Parts.

·
Registered
1999 108 Cdi Traveliner, 1999 V220 Cdi, 2003 V220 Cdi
185 Posts
Thanks for that. The 2 things wrong with my V280 were the Radiator fan and the collapse of the rear air suspension. The suspension was resting on the bump stops! I have decided to bite the bullet and convert back to conventional springs. The conversion kit, which costs only £135 delivered apparently takes only 30 minutes or so to do. I got terrific advise from a lovely bloke called Jason I believe. Apparently he sold all the good parts from his air suspension and got enough to pay for the springs!! I have ordered the speings from Prestige Auto Parts.
Hello Mate,

Just in case you weren't aware there's a cracking thread on Air Suspension probs on this forum.

The thread's called 'Damn Air Suspension'

I'd hyperlink it for you...if I wuz smart enough! :confused:

Might be worth a look before you finally decide.

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
V280
35 Posts
I also had a V280 air suspension problem yesterday (an connector problem to the compressor, which I have now fixed)
Today my biggest worry is that in trying to overcome a coolant dissipating act I have mistaking"ly" added Bars sealer to my expansion reservoir tank and I that see the coolant dissipating act has subsided by that the engine is still overheating. Previous to this I have poured in 3 litres of coolant in the last two weeks.

Was da matta? Ahhhhh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts