Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had our radiator replaced as it was leaking, found out that it is combined with the power steering. Just found out that it is leaking again. And my power steering is still not working. I am unable to drive this car. It has just over 200k on it.
Is there any known issues I should know about it anymore issues I should be made aware of for this car?
Also, my driver's side power window keeps going out.
Is there a known issue with the power steering/radiator on the 2001 Mercedes Benz ML55 AMG

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,029 Posts
Had our radiator replaced as it was leaking, found out that it is combined with the power steering. Just found out that it is leaking again. And my power steering is still not working. I am unable to drive this car. It has just over 200k on it.
Is there any known issues I should know about it anymore issues I should be made aware of for this car?
Is there a known issue with the power steering/radiator on the 2001 Mercedes Benz ML55 AMG
Welcome Lilmissredhead, :)

Seems like you just acquired this w163. yes?

Was the power steering reservoir empty during all of this "leak issue"?
Did you run it dry?

known issues on the w163? Read this sticky. Plenty of info

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased my 2001 ML55 AMG Dec 2015... Soon after is when I had to start adding fluid. (I've bought a lot of steering fluid for this brand vehicle. Just before it went out, the steering was the best it had ever been.. then it was gone. The steering fluid get got mixed up with the radiator coolant.thers are many other issues with this car as well... Some small most big and costly

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
726 Posts
Members have had a radiator cross contamination. Not to often.

But you state you kept putting fluid in, so was it leaking out the radiator? It had to go some where.

Known issues:

Power steering return hose leak or just sliding off.

Power steering reservoir to pump seal.

Engine mounts

Transmission mount

Differential carrier bushings

Driveshaft center support bearing.

Wheel bearings

Transmission conductor plate.

Key fob and theft deterrent.

Just a few common issues. You are not being clear is the power steering still a issue? If leaking have you looked at other areas I mentioned? Was the radiator new or used? As Khomer said does not take much to kill a dry pump.

Other then that the engine and trans on Ml’s are pretty solid some members have 400,000 miles plus on them 250 is an very easy mark.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,029 Posts
I purchased my 2001 ML55 AMG Dec 2015... Soon after is when I had to start adding fluid. (I've bought a lot of steering fluid for this brand vehicle. Just before it went out, the steering was the best it had ever been.. then it was gone. The steering fluid get got mixed up with the radiator coolant.thers are many other issues with this car as well... Some small most big and costly
How often are you refilling the PS fluid?
Surely, you should be able to see where the leak is emanating from.....

Most likely outcome based on what you stated is that your PS is kuput AND is still leaking (somewhere).
You need to find the source of the leak first, resolve that and then refill with the (correct) PS fluid and test again.

READ and learn - https://www.benzworld.org/threads/power-steering-leak-ml320-2000.2347729/

I'd sure hate to see another ML55 on it's downhill climb.... :cautious:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts