Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to flush the radiator, because I see a clear liquid like plain water in the reservoir, and I have no clue when was the last time it was performed on my 2003 SL500. I will remove the he bottom radiator hose to drain, but now my question is how do I refill with antitrust (I live in Miami) the radiator. I see no cap on the radiator????? Is the only way the water reservoir? Thanks everyone for your responses :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 SL500, 2007 GL450
60 Posts
Also, is removing the radiator hose the only way to drain the fluid? How does one capture the fluid (versus letting it spill onto the floor)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
MB coolant is clear yellowish in color. Test it before dumping it. Should be replaced about every 2 years. Same with brake fluid.
-Jim

Sent from my TeamDRH ICS for GTablet using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
385 Posts
brake fluid change is recommended every 2 years

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Antifreeze contains anti corrosive properties. Don't add anything else. IF you already have rust; find out where its coming from. Antifreeze coolant (or anything for that matter) won't repair or reverse rust damage already there.

The rad core on the drivers side has a drain petcock. You will need to remove the lower front bumper valance to access the area to reach and drain the coolant. Draining into a tray or pan will catch coolant but you'll have to have to a larger 5 gal. container ready and close the petcock while dumping your drain pan.
Color varies depending on manufacturer. Could be pink, or green. Both are very hard to tell color when diluted unless in an almost clear/white container. On a garage cement floor it appears to be water with a slightly greasy, slippery feel.

Hard part nobody mentioned was evacuating the air pockets on refill. It's kind of tricky. Not hard just elusive. Allowing the car to heat up without pressurizing is part.
Leave the cap off the recovery tank to begin.
Running the heater at full and revving the engine ( a little not a lot. 2500-3000 is good.) You want to push the coolant in short bursts to burp the air out of the engine/intake cavities. It also can help to hold the throttle at 12-1300 rpm in between quick throttle jabs.
Put the cap on the recovery tank after you've refilled it and burped it several times. Allow it to pressurize. Rev it up a little more.
Shut off the car allow it to sit for 10-15 min.
Pull the recovery tank cap; Start it again; check the engine temp then quickly(short fast stabs) rev the motor.
Check you coolant level after a couple days for extra air pockets and lowered coolant levels
Good Luck

·
Registered
2003 SL500
14 Posts
Coolant gets replaced every 15 years or 150,000 miles on the 2003 SL500. (Page 345 Owner's Manual and Service Manual for the 230.)
Interesting. I also have a 2003 sl500. Page 345 of my 'SL-Class Operator's Manual' is part of the index.
Page 14 of my 'Service Booklet Passenger Cars' states:
'Every 3 years - Replace coolant'

Car purchased new - books came with the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts