Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to top off my CLK with radiator fluid - I get a warning on startup that goes away when warmed up and I see my reservior is a little more than half full, so it is barely low. From research, it looks as Zerex G-05 will work - does anyone concur with that? Also, my car is a 2004, but it WAS manufactured in 9/2003 - how can I assure that I have a Behr radiator and not a Valeo radiator?

Thanks so much! Don

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,378 Posts
As nobody has replied -I'll hazard a post here. :)

Your coolant reservoir has a line on it for the correct level when cold. Considering the overall quantity of cooant in the system, it will harm nothing if you top up simply with water - distilled is best, if you have it already for your battery.

The coolant mixture is theoretically 50:50 water/antifreeze. The antifreeze should comply with MB sheet 325.

Regarding your rad, you build date is right on the cusp of the Valeo deletion. (Sept 2003)

You should be able to see if there is a crimp joint as shown in the pic attached. Behr does not use that design.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 CLK 320
111 Posts
I need to top off my CLK with radiator fluid - I get a warning on startup that goes away when warmed up and I see my reservior is a little more than half full, so it is barely low. From research, it looks as Zerex G-05 will work - does anyone concur with that? Also, my car is a 2004, but it WAS manufactured in 9/2003 - how can I assure that I have a Behr radiator and not a Valeo radiator?

Thanks so much! Don
I didn't see the original post, sorry. My car was built the same month/year as yours. About a month ago I started getting "check radiator fluid" messages about 2-3 times per week, then daily. I knew I had a Service A coming up and told them about the message I was getting. After getting the Service A done, the service rep told me the fluid "was barely low", which is good to know that if this pops up, check it when you can. Don't stress out that it's dangerously low. Just my opinion of course, but that's what I took from that experience.

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you two! It was just barely low. I appreciate the picture for the Valeo - now I know what to look for. I did find some Zerex G-05 at NAPA here in Dallas, so I went there Saturday and got it. I could not see a line outside the reservior, but when I removed the cap, I saw a plastic seperator (?) so I filled it up to that level. I did not drive the car after that, but my wife did (it's hers) and she did not mention the error message (or lack thereof), so I guess I'll have to check it out. So now I have some on hand for when my SL gets low!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts