Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
97 W202 C180
Discussion Starter #1
Car was ok when i started it. Have noticed the radiator fan (electric) is on full blast, Heater is on even though set to cool air (and off) and horn doesn't work. Any ideas please. Thanks.

W163 and General Mercedes Gremlin
Car was ok when i started it. Have noticed the radiator fan (electric) is on full blast, Heater is on even though set to cool air (and off) and horn doesn't work. Any ideas please. Thanks.
Welcome dmitrice,
These look possibly to be 2-3 separate issues.
One topic per thread please.

You provided no detailed history and what you've done so far on your "checked list", other than "Car was ok when I started it."
Horn- got fuse boxes, check fuses, check the connections to the horns

Try using the 'search community', at the top
If you need more assistance on how-to search, feel free to ask.

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 9.16.38 AM.png

Registered
97 W202 C180
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I have owned this car for 3 years now. mostly trouble free. These issues started 3 days ago. Initially thought it was a loose battery terminal so tightened it. Worked fine for about a day and it is back. What i have realized is that, the problem goes away after i remove the battery terminal for a while and connect it back. It happened again today.
What is weird is that the moment the rad fan start at high, the heater comes on and the horn doesn't work.
Is the fan control module related to the climate control (heater) in anyway? Thanks

Registered
97 W202 C180
Discussion Starter #4
And even when i disconnect the fan control module, the fan goes off but the heater is still on and horn is off, thanks.

Registered
97 W202 C180
Discussion Starter #5
just want to diagnose before send to a mechanic who may do trial and error

W163 and General Mercedes Gremlin
just want to diagnose before send to a mechanic who may do trial and error
After you reconnect, the climate control blows cool (does this have ac?) and the horn works?

Check the battery voltage at the terminals
Should be 12.4V minimum and when charging 13.4+V

Registered
W202 230K Sport manual & a few non Merc's
Your problem might be a defective SAM module, when they go several operational features that seem unrelated stop working. Do a Google on Mercedes SAM, I'm sure you'll find some detailed info.

Registered
97 W202 C180
Discussion Starter #8
After you reconnect, the climate control blows cool (does this have ac?) and the horn works?

Check the battery voltage at the terminals
Should be 12.4V minimum and when charging 13.4+V
Yes, the climate control (has AC) blows cool and the horn works when i reconnect. Forgot to say that the climate control dial does not work when the problem starts
Ok will check the terminals, thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts