Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 merc 560 sec, 1984 merc 500 sec ,1983 Mercedes 380 SEC ; 2007 Discovery III
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

will a 380 sec radiator be suitable to use with a 560 SEC engine.

I have a complete 560 SEC , which has a damaged radaitor. could i use the 380 sec radiator in to the 560 SEC body and will it connect to the 560 engine cooling system?

thanks for your suggestions

c

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
I don't know what your climate is like in South Africa, but if it were me I'd compare the radiators. If they are the same size, capacity, etc., and will physically interchange, then you'd probably be OK. If the 380 radiator is smaller, I wouldn't use it. Living in the desert, I'm partial to having the biggest, baddest radiator I can (when I can afford it).

You can look at some of the other radiator threads on here...there has been cussin' and discussin' of various brands of radiators. Don't know which one is best, guess it comes down to if you have a reputable merchant to deal with, or are comfortable buying one off eBay...

Hope this helps a little...

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Why Nissens?

Well, there have been numerous illuminating threads discussing this, and anyone who said the best replacement of this critical item would be to buy a Nissens radiator (Denmark) wuld likely not get too much of an argument around here...

Behr "Made in Germany" was the preferred brand 20 years ago, and was making them as replacements with the critical reinforced upper hose necks - (which the factory new ones did not have, and would tend to eventually crumble) but for many years they have been made in 3rd world countries, places along the lines of Pakistan and so on, where build quality and control cannot be guaranteed to be up to the level of things like this, that are made in Germany (or even Denmark) or so the argument goes; and it is a tough one to refute.

·
Premium Member
300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
1,676 Posts
I don't know what the facilities are like in SA but if it is something you are doing to protect your engine in the heat I would have something made; we have (even locally) repairers and builders where you can have anything made at any price?
In fact I had one made for my G Wagen (at the time the same as a dealer price) 2003 when I fitted an electronic fan, it looked similar but was made in aluminium to be 50% more efficient.
10 years on still working.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Like insurance, in a way...

A new radiator and thermostat might be a good idea at this time too.

And if you can afford it, and don't know wyhen the laqst one was done, maybe a new water pump too at this age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts