Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1982 416 doka
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out travaling in rural costa rica a couple days ago i got in a tropical down pour. the rivers came way up , and where i was there were no bridges. came to the next river and it was running hard, humped up in the middle with lots of limbs and logs,also in the the river was a 96 land rover with water over the hood and a cute tica by herself waving and yelling for help........ what could i do? yep in the river i go. to lazy to pull the winch cable out 20 meters so i drove up to her truck and hooked up and pulled her out.. now for the problem. the water was over 3 feet deep and i left the motor run while i fought the current and brush coming down the river and hooked the cable up.. seems the fan blades twisted in the water and ate the radiator. not a good thing... 3 hours from anywhere. my questions are do they make a clutch fan for a om 352 or is there anything i can do to stop the fan from going into the radiator? does any body happen to have a radiator and fan for a U1100 L or a clutch fan? there is no way to stay out of the rivers, so i need to change something.......... any ideas???

bill-cr

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,676 Posts
Bill,
The fan is bolted right to the crank. The only thing I can think of would be to remove the fan altogether. Then use an electric fan in its place. You could put in a switch to shut off the power to it.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
I've heard of Yeepers who have gone to longer fan belts and added a sprung Belt tensioner pully or some such device. The tensioner mounted in a way where a quick pull of a clamp releases the pressure and allows the belt to slip or to do a quick removal of the fan belt for a deep water crossings.

·
Registered
1982 416 Doka
335 Posts
Bill, so what happened with the "cute Tica"??

oh...mog content.....i concur with Von.:)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Viscous fan clutch

Bill,

We've used a viscous setup on our old 416 rally truck from 2001.

It worked well and allowed for deep river crossings with nary a worry about distorting the blades into the radiator.

If you are interested, I'll see about digging up the old info.

-Sean P.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,857 Posts
...If you are interested, I'll see about digging up the old info.
Sean when you have the time this would be a PERFECT bit of information to have in our archives.

Thank you for offering.

·
Registered
1982 416 doka
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sean
i would be interested in any photo or ideas. don't know if i will recore this radiator or try for a used one. also need the replace the fan. crecked and broken blades.

bill-cr

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,430 Posts
Also curious as to the outcome concerning the cute and probably grateful tica, but...

...you could also replace the standard plastic fan with the HD aluminum unit. Much stronger and unlikely to bend in the water and hi zoot, to boot :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1982 416 doka
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the tica is a whole other story, found her boyfriend a mile up the road looking for help. it was a wild night, they ended up at my hotel and drunk. i went to bed with wife. so much for a wild story, except !!!!!

bill-cr

·
Registered
573 Posts
Visco Fan Clutch

Hello Bill,

Ran across this tonight whilst searching for Franz Murr's brake caliper brace that stops brake squealing. Never-the-less, his visco fan clutch is done exactly the same way we did ours by machining adapters and using an off the shelf BEHR fan clutch.

A couple of links that might be of interest to you:

UNIMURR - Viscolüfter für Baumuster 406 - 417

http://unimurr.de/unimurr/Einbauanleitungen/Einbau Visco 406-417-R1.4.pdf

Cut and paste here to translate: Google Translate

MODERATOR ADDITION- Another translator that IMHO is a bit better Free Translation and Professional Translation Services from SDL

Keith, using the aluminum fan seems logical, however, above idle rpm's and deep river crossings wreak havoc on the radiator, even with the aluminum fan blades.

How do I know this? One of the Moggers in our group at the Croatia Trophy 2002 did not opt for the viscous fan clutch setup. We spent a good portion of the following evening making repairs to the radiator.

This was the only major problem encountered by all three UNIMOGs the whole week.

-Sean P.

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 416 doka
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sean p
that is what I was looking for ! 625 euros is spendy, not being stuck in the jungle with a chewed up radiator........ priceless.

I wish my radiator looked as good as the one in the photo. had to cut-crimp and solder 13 tubes on mine.

bill-cr

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,430 Posts
Jim & Sean - interesting on the metal fan + water. I can imagine the truck in Seans post hitting the water at full throttle and revs. Jim, how did yours break ? At low RPM or WOT ??

I have a metal fan on my 416 and figured I was safe for water crossings. I would always ease into water at a crawl just because of the fan situation (much experience with other makes - some bad). But, now I wonder if any RPM at all when partially submerged would cause trouble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts