Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

my grandfather (who lives in germany) once told me that W123 owners over the pond place cardboard in front of their radiator to help the car warm up faster in cold weather. is this alright for the car? i might give it a try to get the heat cranking a little quicker on these cold mornings :)

in addition, i planned on adjusting my valves, but i don't have the tools and i don't know if i want to pull apart my motor at this time. my car starts every morning even in 15 degrees (knock on wood)...the most it takes is two tries, holding the key for no longer than 5 to 7 seconds with the accelerator applied. i know this is not great for the motor, but am i causing any serious damage if i continue to do this through the winter and do a valve adjustment next year? it may be a dumb question, but i love my 300D and i want to know if i'm abusing her :eek:

thanks!

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the cardboard it warm up faster, thats the thermostat's job...

It is perfectly fine to floor the accelerator while cranking, if you dont i doubt it would even start in those temps. But slowly back off the accelerator once it starts running and let it idle with the idle knob turned full counter clockwise.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldnt worry about the cardboard it warm up faster, thats the thermostat's job...

It is perfectly fine to floor the accelerator while cranking, if you dont i doubt it would even start in those temps. But slowly back off the accelerator once it starts running and let it idle with the idle knob turned full counter clockwise.
great, thanks! that reminds me of one other quick question..my idle knob stops turning clockwise at around 4 o'clock..i thought it should stop in a vertical position? it still works fine though

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
turn the knob clockwise to lower idle speed, turn counter clockwise to raise the idle, im sure you know that... haha. But i think mine stops at about 4 o'clock too, i don't remember but its perfectly normal.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turn the knob clockwise to lower idle speed, turn counter clockwise to raise the idle, im sure you know that... haha. But i think mine stops at about 4 o'clock too, i don't remember but its perfectly normal.
oh okay, it was at 12 o'clock when i bought the car and wouldn't go any further clockwise for a few months..maybe it was stuck in that spot from the car sitting for so long :D

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Cardboard box is fine, so long as you don't forget to remove it once it's warmed up :D

My car has a hard time warming up (and it's barely 40F around here) in the morning. By the time I've driven maybe 3 miles just about to enter the freeway onramp, the engine temp is only up to 60-70C. If I luck out the traffic light doesn't turn green too soon and the car has more time to warm up before it gets on the highway.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cardboard box is fine, so long as you don't forget to remove it once it's warmed up :D

My car has a hard time warming up (and it's barely 40F around here) in the morning. By the time I've driven maybe 3 miles just about to enter the freeway onramp, the engine temp is only up to 60-70C. If I luck out the traffic light doesn't turn green too soon and the car has more time to warm up before it gets on the highway.
i don't think mine is too bad. i usually start her up and turn the heat on 5 minutes before i leave and the heat kicks on shortly after i pull out of my neighborhood..and scratch the cardboard idea :rolleyes:

·
Registered
87 Euro 560 SEL
480 Posts
Don't put the cardboard right against the radiator. You still need airflow so attach it to the grill w/ zipties or something. There is a reason why almost all diesel trucks run a cold cover in winter...it does help. My Land Cruiser actually comes factory with a spring loaded roll blind like you used to have on house windows. Whatever you do keep an eye on your temps.

EDIT: If your car is not heating up quickly and giving you good heat, you have a mechanical problem. My wife loves our 82 300TD because it does heat up quickly and puts out lots of it. And we've had a spell of really cold weather lately (-20-30C). So check your thermostat or get the system flushed if you're having issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts