Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this site. They have some very useful information about radar detectors and lasar jammers. Anybody use the passport 8500? Looks like a super unit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I won't use anything but a Valentine One. I have tried and been burned by Whistler and Uniden. Inferior Crap.<p>Don't know how good Passports are as I've never owned one.<p>The V1, although it picks up alot of stray signals in town is absolutely incredible on the highway. Nothing comes close.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V1 - hands down favorite ...

------<br>I haven't heard anything but raves about the V1 from anyone who's opinion I trust. <p>After two speeding tickets in the first month with the 8500, my own Mother literally tossed ('slammed' would be a more acurate term) her 8500 in the trash, finally took my advice, and bought a V1. 6 months of spirited driving later (5 or 10 over the speed limit is 'spirited' for her ... just like her son? ... yeah right!), and she's ticket free. <p>V1 and some kind of Laser Jammer is the only set-up I would go with (even the guys on the M5 forum agree with me on this point). <p>Drew.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: V1 - hands down favorite ...

I own 2 V1's, so you know where my heart is at. I thought the first was broken and bought another one. It was just the power cord (duh). Not only are they great at finding the radar, but they are way more durable than the bel units I have had in the past (I have 4 bel units. They would last about a year, then I would buy another one. Finally I sent the broken ones back and they sent me 4 new ones which I have never used). I was surprised at the test results. They claim the 8500 picked up the radar at 7 miles! What's more interesting on the site is the lasar jammer tests, and the shortcomings of the lasar jammers. Would hate to buy a lasar jammer and find out it doesn't work the hard way.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be skeptical my fellow 'moron' :) ...

---------<p>I've heard rumor that some of these 'independant' radar tests are conducted by 'impartial' testers ... who also happen to be on the payroll for certain radar manufacturers. Can you imagine that!<p>BTW: Rich, I hope you know my 'moron' reference was in regard to the AMG "T" post below ... how did we call ourselves 'MB-Fans' whilst we lived without that piece of information!<p>Did you ever make it to that track event posted on the CLK Forum?<p>Also, there is a guy on the MBWorld CLK-Forum with a handle of 'hammerdownclk55' who lives in your neck of the woods (VA, right?). From his posts, seems like someone I'd like to get together with and do some cruising.<p>Drew.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought T was for turbo :eek:)

I agree. I was looking to see what they were trying to sell. As far as I can tell, just books. I love my V1's. My first one is 5 yrs old now. They do however make some interesting points about the lasar jammers. <br>Couldn't make the track session, but I plan to in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts