Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently police radar/laser detection devices are to be banned, though GPS devices will remain legal.

However having the hardware maybe I'll keep on using it. It being a Road Angel II.

Mounting on the screen with 2 suckers is rather obvious. I am concidering locating the GPS antenna under a grill on the bonnet, (where the AMG has fins) like I have seen a pic of a sirrus Antenna.

Where could a remote rader detector go.. I am thinking behind the grill of the merc badge, I have no expertise as to whether this will work succesfully or not.

Perhaps the harder question is where to pass the cables through the bulhead.. something I have never liked doing or been very succesful at in the past.

·
Registered
SL55 AMG/SLK 350
211 Posts
I think they have done a blanket ban due to the "garage door openers come radar jammers!". Realistically at the point your radar detector has picked up a mobile radar van/man you're done anyway!

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joyfulheart - 2/1/2005 5:59 AM
Road Angel 2 is GPS based and legal.
Yes it has GPS for fixed alerts and also radar detection! I am sure it could be taken apart and physically disabled.

dbslk - you are quite right at time of alert it is most likly the gun is aiming at you! - of course the police are supposed to aim and fire twice and its not meant to be used from inside a vehicle, but at the end of teh day if too traffic officers say you are speeding the gun as evidence is secondery - That was my problem back in 2000 - but i was doing 62 in a 30, so I fealt lucky get 6 points and no ban.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re the first post - anyone know where to pass the cable for a remote laser sensor from the engine compartment into the cabin on a right hand drive car?

I have been hearing all sorts of horror stories about leaks etc!!

I have bought a road angel compact and the external laser sensor which you fit at the front number plate.(or maybe even behind the star!) I would like the cable to lead into the passenger footwell (which conveniently corresponds with the battery position so there may be a route in there?)

Called into my uncles garage to ask the guys there where to pass the cable through - they all groaned and said you dont want to do that.......think they were too busy and couldnt be bothered!

So its down to your truly!!

any advice?

thanks

(ps - am I right in thinking this will only pick up laser guns but not radar guns?)

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
I doubt they could ever make owning one illegal. There's always been the fact that using a device to effect your actions so you don' tget caught is illegal. they jsut have to proved you used it. I think scare tactics is the best weapon for the police.

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
Easty - 4/6/2006 5:16 PM

I doubt they could ever make owning one illegal. There's always been the fact that using a device to effect your actions so you don' tget caught is illegal. they jsut have to proved you used it. I think scare tactics is the best weapon for the police.
It's already illegal to own one in France. UK motorists are often stopped by police leaving the channel ports, their detectors confiscated, and there's an on the spot fine too.

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
It most be the future for the UK then, We always follow the french in there innovational Law enforcement. ;)

Petty they cannot do the same with immigrants and general lack of a passport.

They'll struggle in the Uk because so many people own them! so if this law becomes effective your immediately incriminating millions of people.

If they pull you and it's flashing in your car and making bleeping noises. They may ticket you, I don't think 3am raids on your house by the armed response team is gonna happen.

·
Registered
SLK 350+ GSD350 CONV
102 Posts
Most forces use laser now and detectors for both radr and laser are no use: it bleeps... you've been caught. So the only way to go is to get a laser jammer.

The first jammer products were based on garage door openers but most people never fitted the door opener part to their garage door... dodgy ground if you're caught with it.

Here's a link to a product that gets through the laser jammer loophole.This one is based on a parking sensor and (so far) is totally legit.

http://www.kmph.co.uk/product.asp?id=Lpp

As for the comment about armed police raiding your house at 3am..... frankly the way things are going in the u.k.(a cross between 1984 and Nazi Germany).... it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
With George W. Bush as our president and the Office of Homeland Security that he created, the United States won't be far behind.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
23 Posts
I have fitted the Lidatek Echo LE 30 Laser Jammer to all of my cars, I've been using the Lidatek for about 18 months with no problems. I had it fitted after i was done for speeding two years ago ( 32 MPH in a 30 MPH Zone ) £60 fine and three points. My insurance went up by £300 a year,To insure high group 20 + cars (i had a Ferrari 550 Maranello at the time) for a reasonable premium you have to have a clean licence.

Cheers

Steve [:)]

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
421 Posts
steve.b - 4/14/2006 6:57 AM
...( 32 MPH in a 30 MPH Zone ) £60 fine and three points. ...
Steve [:)]
WOW! That isn't much speeding for a fine and penalties.

I ALWAYS try to drive the speed limit, but even <b>I</b> have probably been over the speed limit that much from time to time.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
In the Chicago area, we have a 55MPH speed limit on expressways. Vehicles normally move at 70 to 80 MPH when traffic is light. Mass disobediance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts