Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience using a radar detector (in areas where they are legal) in a S with solar coated glass? How well do they work and how sensitive are they to the location on the dash? The IR opening is just about impossible to see.

·
Registered
s500
10 Posts
Anyone have any experience using a radar detector (in areas where they are legal) in a S with solar coated glass? How well do they work and how sensitive are they to the location on the dash? The IR opening is just about impossible to see.
Hi,

This is useful info; I've just bought a radar detector, but mulling over the mounting options, where's the trapezium of 'clear' glass? top or base of screen? I can't see anything except the shaded part in front of the rear-view mirror?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
S600 Sport
19 Posts
Mounting...

I use the Passport and have the window mount on the bottom of the window. If you look at the windsheild at an angle, either on the inside or out, you will be able to see the IR opening at the bottom of the windsheild, just off the center of the glass towards the passenger side. Once you see this, you are able to mount the window mount accordingly. Mounted there the passport even seems to pick up radar coming from behind. I still am unable to see the one at the top of the glass so each time I zip through a toll, my sunroof opens and out comes the EZ Pass. (One day I am going to drop it)

·
Registered
S600 Sport
19 Posts
I will check it out. Seems the book said the area was to the left or right of the mirror...

I will check it out. Seems the book said the area was to the left or right of the mirror so like a goofus, I would move it around the glass in that area hoping the gate would rise. I am aware the pass works against glass, just never wanted to have those gawdy plastic connectors pasted on the glass.

Thanks!

·
Registered
S600 Sport
19 Posts
From what

I have seen the antenna is that cream color box to the left just ahead of the gate but past the screen you described. A few times before I begun to stick the pass out of the top, the cops would take my pass and touch it on the box.

Thanks for the info on the windsheild location. No more getting wet for me!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts