Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm in the midst's of replacing my head gasket and while trying to remove one of the smaller dia. rad hoses I snapped the fitting off of the top of the rad.
This is the second time around I'm having a bitch of a time removing these hoses, the first time I ended up cutting them off the fittings.These are standard rad hoses from Napa and over time the rubber seems to harden up around the fitting.
So is it worth lubing the hoses on the ends and with what and will that work? Anyone who knows any tricks please speak up or I will be forced to buy silicone hoses that I know would work.
G Vavra

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
While installing new water pump last summer,
I replaced one rubber hose with new silicone one.
It was about 1' long, fit good and looked good too.
Why not to take advantage of new technologies
...in old Unimogs ?:confused:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Radiator hose pick

Get yourself a radiator hose pick. You slip the pointed end in between the hose and the fitting and pull it around the circumference to break the bond between the 2. They make removing the hose so much easier.
Regards,
Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess there is a tool for everything, but a little to late. Swapping over to silicone hoses. little pricey but I will not have anything to worry about in the future(plus they are a prudy green like my Mog:cool:)
G Vavra

1 - 4 of 4 Posts