Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fortunately, my neighbor is letting me use his in-shop hoist, the type with two outside the body pillars. While under there I will change the rear oil, look at the flex and universal and carrier bearing's and examine for plugged hoses, missing pins or clips or what-nots, look for leaks etc. WHAT is important, that YOU would suggest I add to the list beyond the typical lubrication and visual look-over for damage? Anything to re-torque at this opportunity. In other words, how would you spend your time. I realize some if not many do not have access as I do, and would plan an agenda quit inclusive of all procedures to perform with limited time for the $ an hour cost of a lift.:confused: :)

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
The most important items are your sub-frame, flex discs, fuel lines and flexible hoses. AFter that would be rust, clear out the body drains, leaks and general tightness, condition and fitment, ie. is anything loose, bent, etc. Check for brake drag on each wheel, bearing noise, condition of exhaust.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,108 Posts
look at the universal and carrier bearing's
You can "look" all you want...........you'll never know until it is in your hand.

Good time to re-new the fuel lines.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Now that you mention it, my fuel pump(s) seem a little noisy. Is there anything we can do about it except replacement? I just replaced the filter. could that make any differenced in the sound?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm making a list, I'm checking it twice, I'm gonn'a find out whos......... ooops, Thanks all, you'v given me a great list of things to do, and be assured I will follow it well

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Sheesh, with this list I'd turn tail and run! Hope you don't find more than you've bargained for!

As far as the pumps, there was a member here years ago that flushed their pumps off the car using diesel fuel and reversing the polarity to push the crap back from whence it entered with good results. You should find it on a search, but it goes back a few years. I'd say if you have oem Bosch it might be worth a try. My new Aisian (continent, not brand!) pumps got noisy within months but continued to work just fine. I still have the original Bosch, just haven't tried cleaning them yet.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Ball joints, bushings, engine mount, differential mount, rear stabilizer links, shifter bushings. Any shocks leaking?

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you haven't changed your transmission oil/filter recently, that might be a good thing to do while it is up on the lift. I found it to be quite a messy PITA to do with the car on jack stands, laying on a cold concrete floor.

If my neighbor had a lift in his garage, I'm sure he would have more scotch than he knew what to do with by now......

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
If you haven't changed your transmission oil/filter recently, that might be a good thing to do while it is up on the lift. I found it to be quite a messy PITA to do with the car on jack stands, laying on a cold concrete floor.

If my neighbor had a lift in his garage, I'm sure he would have more scotch than he knew what to do with by now......

Just one small suggestion: A large cardboard box, such as one for an appliance, makes a dandy insulation from cold or hot pavement. It's even slippery enough to act as sort of a "poor mans' creeper". Just open it and split one corner to flatten it out.

Scott

·
29,108 Posts
It's even slippery enough to act as sort of a "poor mans' creeper". Just open it and split one corner to flatten it out.
Great idea, Scooter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
RadioTek, I do have a big piece of cardboard that I use when I'm under the car, you caught me exaggerating the discomfort of my sad little garage:)

Even if I was laying on a down comforter it would pale in comparison to having a lift!

·
Premium Member
9,699 Posts
RadioTek, I do have a big piece of cardboard that I use when I'm under the car, you caught me exaggerating the discomfort of my sad little garage:)

Even if I was laying on a down comforter it would pale in comparison to having a lift!
Not always. You get to lay down on the job if you don't have a lift.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The cardboard box idea's one I think about all of us have put to use, and a great way to catch 'stuff' as it comes undone and drops to those' netherworld' hiding places, right next to the dryer socks. and is easy to slide back and forth on.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
Around here, the problem is that the pavement gets HOT in the summertime. I measured a section of black asphalt at 172 F one July. And coming from the Midwest, I've done work under a vehicle on solid ice, so I've had to develop a few 'survival strategies'. :)

Ya do what ya gotta do.
Scott

·
29,108 Posts
And coming from the Midwest, I've done work under a vehicle on solid ice, so I've had to develop a few 'survival strategies'. :)

That is why I beleive in preventative maintenance....it can be done in the climate of your choice.

In my younger years of $500 cars.....the "waiting for something to break" maintenance program usually manifested itself in February.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts