Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
ML320 CDI 2008
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody experienced that problem? I got a leak at the top of the control head. I saw in an other thread that someone replace it at the dealer $2000 it's a lot of $$$$. I'm thinking of using lucas rack and pinion stop leak first, but I'm afraid that will damage the pump. I think that I have to replace the rack and pinion or may be just replace the control head (the top seal is leaking). did someone have change that part DIY. is it possible to rebuild it with the seal kit that they are selling. thanks for suggestion.

·
Registered
13 GLK350, 02 325, 94 sonoma, 12 RAM, 01 WS6
2,051 Posts
I have done several head kits. kinda easy.

NOW there are 2 diff kinds of rack. if you have the variable rack with the sensor on the head than you need a rack. there is no rebuild kit for it. but if you have the standard rack than you can rebuild the rack with a head kit.

IMO no stop leak in a bottle will fix this the seal is bad and you need another seal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have done several head kits. kinda easy.

NOW there are 2 diff kinds of rack. if you have the variable rack with the sensor on the head than you need a rack. there is no rebuild kit for it. but if you have the standard rack than you can rebuild the rack with a head kit.

IMO no stop leak in a bottle will fix this the seal is bad and you need another seal.
I have the standard rack, do you have to take the rack out to install the rebuild kit?

·
Registered
2011 ML350 BlueTec, 2008 ML350 4Matic
311 Posts
I had that problem on my 2008 ML 350 not too long ago.
My Independent Shop did the replacement for around $1200, if I recall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts