Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Raced a BMW 745li on V day (full story)

ok so I am enjoying the night with my girl. I just took her shopping for V Day and we were on our way home (we had good music going and the weather was perfect). The 600 was spotless as I just cleaned her that day so life was good :) I am in the lane next to the fast lane and my girl and I are having a good conversation, when she tells me there is a nice looking car next to me. Since I was looking at her at the time I look over and see its a BMW 745li with tinted windows. I knew it was the il because that rear window was long as hell haha. I couldnt see who was inside the car but he pulls RIGHT next to me and slows down and stays the same speed as I am going (a bait tactic). I look at my speedo and it says we were doing about 75 (I had the cruise control on). So I look at my girl and ask her "do you think this guy wants to run?". I always get stupid people that wanna race me because my license plate says vvee12 and people just wanna see how fast she will go. So my girl says "smoke that fool" (yes my girl is a keeper cuz she LOVES speed). So I step on the gas just a little bit to see if he is baiting me. I get to 80 mph and stop there. Here he comes next me me. Once again he pulls right next to me and stays at my speed. So I guess its ON. One thing I LOVE about my 600 is no matter how fast im going if I hammer it I still have a passing gear (most mercedes dont have this gear if you are going over 75 or 80 mph). Maybe its because shes the 5 speed version (my 500 is only a 4 speed and she doesnt have a passing gear if im doing over 75).

So I HAMMER IT!!!!!! The rpms went up to about 6k and I barely even see the beemer in my mirror. So I am thinking that he got scared and didnt wanna run, so I slow down. Here he comes in my rear view mirror and does the same bait thing. So im thinking "wow I cannot have smoked this guy that bad" so I slow down and wait for him again. He pulls up to my side and I HIT IT AGAIN. I pull from him hard. I see his lights get dimmer in my rear view mirror. When I hit 150 I slowed down and eventually he caught up again and then took the off ramp. Im sure he was pissed!

My girl is laughing the whole time and my 600 is purring like a kitten. The torque in this car is amazing. I knew the beemer was only a v8 but i didnt expect I was gonna pull on him like I did since his car is newer technology. I knew for a fact he had his car floored because he kept trying to catch me. My heart was pumpin because I KNEW why I loved this car so much! I only raced her once before with an audi A8 and that was no contest so I didnt know how I was gonna fair with the 745.

My girl looks at me and says "if that guy was next to us I would have him roll his window down and I would tell him, DUDE I HAVE 2 WORDS FOR YOU.......VEEEEEEEEE AND TWELVE......... that cracked me up and we set the cruise control back at 75 and enjoyed the rest of our night.

now thats what i call a good valentines night :thumbsup:

edited: it was a 745li NOT a 740

·
Registered
603 Posts
ok so I am enjoying the night with my girl. I just took her shopping for V Day and we were on our way home (we had good music going and the weather was perfect). The 600 was spotless as I just cleaned her that day so life was good :) I am in the lane next to the fast lane and my girl and I are having a good conversation, when she tells me there is a nice looking car next to me. Since I was looking at her at the time I look over and see its a BMW 740il with tinted windows. I knew it was the il because that rear window was long as hell haha. I couldnt see who was inside the car but he pulls RIGHT next to me and slows down and stays the same speed as I am going (a bait tactic). I look at my speedo and it says we were doing about 75 (I had the cruise control on). So I look at my girl and ask her "do you think this guy wants to run?". I always get stupid people that wanna race me because my license plate says vvee12 and people just wanna see how fast she will go. So my girl says "smoke that fool" (yes my girl is a keeper cuz she LOVES speed). So I step on the gas just a little bit to see if he is baiting me. I get to 80 mph and stop there. Here he comes next me me. Once again he pulls right next to me and stays at my speed. So I guess its ON. One thing I LOVE about my 600 is no matter how fast im going if I hammer it I still have a passing gear (most mercedes dont have this gear if you are going over 75 or 80 mph). Maybe its because shes the 5 speed version (my 500 is only a 4 speed and she doesnt have a passing gear if im doing over 75).

So I HAMMER IT!!!!!! The rpms went up to about 6k and I barely even see the beemer in my mirror. So I am thinking that he got scared and didnt wanna run, so I slow down. Here he comes in my rear view mirror and does the same bait thing. So im thinking "wow I cannot have smoked this guy that bad" so I slow down and wait for him again. He pulls up to my side and I HIT IT AGAIN. I pull from him hard. I see his lights get dimmer in my rear view mirror. When I hit 150 I slowed down and eventually he caught up again and then took the off ramp. Im sure he was pissed!

My girl is laughing the whole time and my 600 is purring like a kitten. The torque in this car is amazing. I knew the beemer was only a v8 but i didnt expect I was gonna pull on him like I did since his car is newer technology. I knew for a fact he had his car floored because he kept trying to catch me. My heart was pumpin because I KNEW why I loved this car so much! I only raced her once before with an audi A8 and that was no contest so I didnt know how I was gonna fair with the 740.

My girl looks at me and says "if that guy was next to us I would have him roll his window down and I would tell him, DUDE I HAVE 2 WORDS FOR YOU.......VEEEEEEEEE AND TWELVE......... that cracked me up and we set the cruise control back at 75 and enjoyed the rest of our night.

now thats what i call a good valentines night :thumbsup:

nice bro but you know it all depends who was seating behind that wheel. i bet ya if i have just 4.4 I model i still can keep side to side with ya for some time but with that guy who knows maybe just the way he drives though.. no everyone in this world knows what a trusted gear is so.. but anyway good thing man you smoked him.. ttyl

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
nice bro but you know it all depends who was seating behind that wheel. i bet ya if i have just 4.4 I model i still can keep side to side with ya for some time but with that guy who knows maybe just the way he drives though.. no everyone in this world knows what a trusted gear is so.. but anyway good thing man you smoked him.. ttyl
did I mention I have the AMG chip that gives me more power and removed my speed limiter? Yes drivers do make the difference but it was a straight line. Not very hard to just push your foot down on the gas. Maybe the il is slower then the i (less weight?)...either way I am still surprised that 11 year old technology pulled on him that much. I knew my 600 was fast but I thought he would at least stay with me side by side until he hit his speed limiter and i say bye bye..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well, the last time I did something like that I was driving a 427 AC Cobra.

This plain looking, silver Camero kept dogging me like your guy in the 740. after a couple of jumps and short runs, I said OK cowboy - its on.

Well, needless to say I smoked this guy, we had about a 2 mi run on a divided highwy with good pavement. The Camero literally dissappeared in my mirror after I let him puch it, then I drilled it and left him behind with his engine straining.

At the end of the 2mi run was a stop light, so I stopped and eventually the silver Camero pulls up behind me. This dude had no markings on the car, all windows, including the windsheid were tinted limo black, could not see in at all. When the light changed and I pulled out (slowly), he flipped on his blue lights.

More details available upon request.

Ed C

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the last time I did something like that I was driving a 427 AC Cobra.

This plain looking, silver Camero kept dogging me like your guy in the 740. after a couple of jumps and short runs, I said OK cowboy - its on.

Well, needless to say I smoked this guy, we had about a 2 mi run on a divided highwy with good pavement. The Camero literally dissappeared in my mirror after I let him puch it, then I drilled it and left him behind with his engine straining.

At the end of the 2mi run was a stop light, so I stopped and eventually the silver Camero pulls up behind me. This dude had no markings on the car, all windows, including the windsheid were tinted limo black, could not see in at all. When the light changed and I pulled out (slowly), he flipped on his blue lights.

More details available upon request.

Ed C
well if it was po po i was told they cant "bait" you like that...does your story end with jail time and impounded car?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am convinced that he mainly wanted a closer look at the car.

We pulled into a parking lot and he began to inspect it all over - even wanted to pop the hood.

He did write me up for no proof of insurance (I was insured, but had not received my cards yet) and I did have to go before a judge.

I was delighted with the ticket, it could have been much worse.

This was clearly a case of baiting and harassment on the highway. No markings on the car and as I said, limo tint on all windows including the windshield.

This kind of harassement may be illegal; but at the end of the day cops can do what ever they want, it would be his word against mine; guess which one the judge will believe!!

I did not get up to 150 as in your s600 - what a rush.

Ed C

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hey vvee12..
Did you ever consider that the Bimmer guy maybee just was edmiring your car ??
Not looking for a race at all ?? Then you took that pleasure away from him..

Still, I'm sure it feels good to show of 400BHP once in a while..

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Hey vvee12..

Be aware, against the Benz 600, the real competition is the BMW 745iL and the X5 4.8, they both have incredible power v weight and are like bullets. Especially the X5 4.8 as its very light compared to a Benz V12, by the time you reach real speed he will be miles ahead and still have kick down.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hey vvee12..

I side with Eirik on this.

If I was driving that car I wouldnt try you.

Only the uneducated would have to be "schooled".;)

Any piece of junk can catch up to us in traffic & then its no race

Personally, a 745 is not an issue for mine, even late-750il's have more than their hands full. I have yet to try a 135/335i which I'm sure will beat me no problem in the street but on the hwy I could see whats left in the 300+ lightweight.

·
52,804 Posts
I side with Eirik on this.

If I was driving that car I wouldnt try you.

Only the uneducated would have to be "schooled".;)

If there is traffic its not a race.

Any piece of junk can catch up to us in traffic.

Eric; Personally, a 745 is not an issue for mine, even late-750il's have more than their hands full. The only one that is clearly heavy-handed is the 760, a 550 and most M's

A Celisor with a good driver ran with me in the rain for 2-3 minutes up to 200km/h it was fun? I'm not sure. Exiciting yes, I got to my office that morning & it took 2 hours to rid of all the adreneline.
The 750 and cetainly the 760 is too HEAVY, the 745 as I have said before has th correct weight v power level;)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Be aware, against the Benz 600, the real competition is the BMW 745iL and the X5 4.8, they both have incredible power v weight and are like bullets. Especially the X5 4.8 as its very light compared to a Benz V12, by the time you reach real speed he will be miles ahead and still have kick down.:thumbsup:
I think you'll find there is very little difference in weight between the X5/745 and your car. The X5 has more transmission through which to spend horse power and it does make a massive hole in the air too, so as speeds rise you may well have the legs of him. I'm not sure those same physics would apply to the Seven. It's lighter and probably more slippery.

Right, the 750, (745 isn't made anymore), is 1985 KG and has a cd of 0.29
The X5 4.8 is 2180KG and has a cd of 0.35
Your car I think may be about the 2200KG mark and has I believe a cd of 0.31.

·
52,804 Posts
I think you'll find there is very little difference in weight between the X5/745 and your car. The X5 has more transmission through which to spend horse power and it does make a massive hole in the air too, so as speeds rise you may well have the legs of him. I'm not sure those same physics would apply to the Seven. It's lighter and probably more slippery.

Right, the 750, (745 isn't made anymore), is 1985 KG and has a cd of 0.29
The X5 4.8 is 2180KG and has a cd of 0.35
Your car I think may be about the 2200KG mark and has I believe a cd of 0.31.
Part of my job is to Quality control, which means I have to road test the cars and trust me I know the difference between and X5 and a 745 and a Benz 600;) From personal experience I could match the W220 S600 against the X5 4.8 anytime, I would give the X5 the start on accelleration, but the 600 on anything above 100 miles an hour. Except the W220 S600 with turbo - that is a beast. If you want a beast then this is it. Only Ferrari produce cars to compete with this monster.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Part of my job is to Quality control, which means I have to road test the cars and trust me I know the difference between and X5 and a 745 and a Benz 600;) From personal experience I could match the W220 S600 against the X5 4.8 anytime, I would give the X5 the start on accelleration, but the 600 on anything above 100 miles an hour. Except the W220 S600 with turbo - that is a beast. If you want a beast then this is it. Only Ferrari produce cars to compete with this monster.
I don't believe anybody mentioned the W220 though. Looking at VVEE12s avatar he has a W140. It may have a few more hp than the 750/745 but I still think that one of those would pull out on the old 600 as speeds rose. I agree though, the X5 would have to give way eventually. (Even though it his 'race' was against a 740).

·
52,804 Posts
I don't believe anybody mentioned the W220 though. Looking at VVEE12s avatar he has a W140. It may have a few more hp than the 750/745 but I still think that one of those would pull out on the old 600 as speeds rose. I agree though, the X5 would have to give way eventually. (Even though it his 'race' was against a 740).
With an old 600 he could beat a 740 on accelleration but on top speed ? Who knows. Havent tried or thought about this one yet.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If it's a 740, I reckon VVEE12 would take the honours in both cases.
ok case closed.. vvee12 rocks:surrender::thumbsup:

good thing you smoked him man, but hey watch out cause speed like desire lets you in fire with authorities bro..i dont know how laws are in cali but if you do race here in mass over 110 miles an hour and youre caught better have a good lawyer cause you will see the closest cell with in 5 minutes

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
ok case closed.. vvee12 rocks:surrender::thumbsup:

good thing you smoked him man, but hey watch out cause speed like desire lets you in fire with authorities bro..i dont know how laws are in cali but if you do race here in mass over 110 miles an hour and youre caught better have a good lawyer cause you will see the closest cell with in 5 minutes
Probably be a long time before you see your license again too.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The 750 and cetainly the 760 is too HEAVY, the 745 as I have said before has th correct weight v power level;)
Agreed but only in acceleration & handling.

Towards (straightline)top end weight is irrelevent, only electronic/wind drag limitation remains.

Last check early w140's have a CX of 31-32. Still good by today's standards.

Most still have the "Gentleman's agreement" which is the 155mph elec. cutoff. While newer cars need a couple of thousand dollars to re-cali the CPU our cars can be de-limited for 100 dollars or less.

One driver alone or with three passengers and a couple of bodies in the trunk will still reach its top speed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts