Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 SLK 350
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with stories on track/street/anywhere races with/against an MB? And/Or Videos...

Who killed who etc.? Just curious...not that i street race... [;)]

·
SLK350
68,924 Posts
here is one: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1200407&posts=15&fid=12

·
Registered
None
738 Posts
I was in traffic last year during the summer in my W108, a 1972 280SE 4.5 keeping a respectable distance between me and the person in front of me in the fast lane.

The larger than normal gap must have posed a tempting treat for the agressive drivers of the road.

A middle aged gentleman came up beside me in the middle last to my right in a brand new Infiniti FX35 SUV for just a moment and I immediately knew he was going to be an ass when he flashed a stupid smile. He pinned it just as I used my kick-down. 2 seconds later he had his left blinker on to move in behind me. Perhaps from this view he could see the "4.5" on my trunk lid better this time.

A lesson to him in old skool German non-emissions controlled V8's.

Tory

·
Registered
None
738 Posts
Another one. Hehe - most of my stories are already at speed not letting idiods pass and cut in, really.

ANYWAY.

Going into the fall last year, an early 1990's Volkswagen GTi 16-valve needed to get past me.

I was in my W126, a 1981 300SD turbo diesel. Alas, this car is slow from the get go. But we were at highway speeds with my turbo spooled up and he was in my play-ground.

He tried 4 seperate times to get by me, each attempt ending with merging back behind me again. Each time, I saw him coming and NEEDING to desperately get past me, I used the kick-down and poofs of black smoke came puffing out, not only effortlessly stopping his pass, but spending less money on fuel at the same time in lavish comfort! Each time, he kept getting more and more angry, to the point where he and his passenger started waving their fingers out of his windows at me to see in my rear-view window.

He must have been angry that this little sporty 2 door couldn't pass a 4,800 lbs. diesel cruiser. The "turbo diesel" on my trunk lid must have convinced him that I would have been an easy target - and he must have been angry at how wrong he was and embarresed - he may have said something like "watch me kill this Benz with my GTi, bro, you'll see, no problem" LOL.

Anyway a short time after all this started, he ended up exiting from the freeway and hanging a left from the fast lane. The fast lane was the one he needed to be in and I was obviously going more than quick enough for his driving needs since he couldn't pass me - the usual person would have seen me speeding up and gotten behind me and call it quits - all he did was waste his gas and got a little bloody nose.

Don't get me wrong, he would have kicked my ass from a light, though - we all know that.

Some people are so stupid!

Tory

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Great stories! So true about leaving a comfort zone between yourself and the car in front of you.

This one was my fault. The Kennedy expressway leading to downtown Chicago is always crowded. This day is was as though it was closed, absolutely empty. I wound out my 400i Ferrari to triple digits, cranking tunes and straddling lanes.

As I was calling my favorite restaurant for a carryout pickup, I veered from the far left lane to the far right lane, as my exit was rapidly approaching. I ws going about 130mph.

Out of nowhere, I hear a horrific screaching, and a Porsche 911 or 930 spins by me, totally out of control. I slam on my brakes, not knowing what was happening. I guess I just didn't notice him rapidly approaching from the rear, as I blindly changed lanes.

I was soooo sorry, I pulled up next to him to apologize, he was livid. Started calling me every name in the book.

Since he has now got me irate, I held up my cellphone and shouted, "Be quiet, I'm trying to order carry-out!!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Here's one I posted last August 2004:

Last night I went out for a drive at midnight, just on the surface roads here in Anaheim. I pulled up at a stoplight, and some VW old Beetle also pulled up. Two guys, mid 20's or 30's. Heavily set up VW (you know, those ones with huge engines at the back, with matching tires).

Light turned green, I floored the pedal, and so did he. He was looking at me furiously like seeing if I was still there, I grinned. 2nd gear kicked in, the shift characteristic of my car is that it lurches forward, I don't know about others. But that proved great this time, as the car's nose inched past his. Then I pressed on until a light ahead was turning yellow.

40mph and still pressing on, but ahead was a stop light. Yellow. We both stopped. He looked at me, smiled, and I returned with a smile of my own.

He was revving up, so I closed the ACC and rolled down windows, his car was noisier than I thought. My car really damped the sound. ANyway...

Cross street light turned red, so our turn to go green. Green light. I was late on stepping the pedal, and he went ahead slightly. Another hard shift lurched the car, he was frantic as I could see it in his face. 40mph, and a clear road. Wow.

I didn't want to catch any attention, so I didn't floor it fully. But he was really going for it, so I thought fine, I raced him to 60mph on street roads and he couldn't go past it (short transmission of his VW?). I was way ahead already, I saw him drop back. He dropped off a friend, so I made a U-turn, going back home. He also U-turned, and while I was stopped on the thru lane, he went to the left turning lane. Looked at him, he looked back, nodded his head, the light turned green, and we parted ways, smiling.

I guess it was really fun, but a bit careless. But worth it. Damn! I really love this car!

[:D][:D]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most recent was a R32, 24valve VR6, and my C-Coupe. Three across on 355 in Rockville, MD leaving the schnellms.net meet. The VR6 was left looking at both of us pulled more than 4 cars on him, the R32 had me by 1 car to around 60mph, I was able to pull him in and pass by the end, 120ish...

On the hwy, niether car did well against the coupe. Rolling starts from 60 & 80, I was able to leave them.

On the long sweepers I was able to pass the R32 like he was standing still. I have an unfair advantage with CO's, sways, and custom rear linkage though.

All three of us ran together from 355, east on 495, up 95 to north of 695, ~20-30 miles so there were no flukes and it was a lot of fun, controled, and none of the typical irresponsible swerving in and out of cars by the other guys.

Tom
2002 2.3l C Sport Coupe/ 6-speed
Kleemann K23 pulley, recent control arms, transmission and rear diff., H&R CO's, Eibach sways, 18lbs wheels, P-Zero M+S tires for winter... the R32 had the same tires, same size.

·
Registered
04c230k sport sedan
224 Posts
nuk:

welcome to benzworld.org man. congrats on being a moderator over at mbklasse. thanks for the technical postings that help me to understand more about our cars.

·
Registered
1996 S600 (Sebastian), 1999 SLK230 Kompressor (Tie Fighter)
638 Posts
it was a bright, sunny, hot day in july. i was minding my own business cruising along one of my favorite stretches of road. it's a gorgeous winding stretch with rolling hills and lush green forests intermingled with farms, lakes and rivers. it was thoroughly enjoyable allowing Sebastian (my pet name for my v12 [8D] ) to stretch his proverbial legs, if you like, as i often love to do on these type of days.

i first saw him in my rear view mirror coming up fast around the last curve i had taken. this little shit in a bmw must have seen me cruising along and just couldn't resist (as is often the case with these pukes) trying to blow the doors off a superior machine. they always have something to prove don't they? hehehe

i had a lively mozart selection pumping out of the speakers, the windows down, the top open and the cruise locked in at the speed that i wanted. he must have been really pushing that little 525 because he was gaining quickly. i let him pass me and then i changed the tunes to, well let's just say something a little more intense shall we?...hehehe.

the pedal met the metal, Sebastian sported his famous snarl and in a flash the bimmer was toast! he tried to catch up to us and pass but we denied him permission. each time he tried i just let Sebastian's 12 cylinders blow road dirt in his face. this series of lessons lasted about 15 minutes and was very very satisfying.

afteward i gave Sebastian a nice warm, long, soothing bath whilst i popped a cold one. we can't wait 'til the next time![8D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts