Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We just picked up a used 2008 r320 cdi, and we really love it so far. One problem we've noticed is that even though the car only has 17,000 miles, it is down to about 7mm of tread left on all the tires (Continental 4x4).

We can't guess how it was driven in the past, but if this continues we'll probably be at 20-25K when the tires need to be replaced.

Is this normal for the big heavy R class or are others doing better?

-chris

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
20-40k is average tire life for these vehicles. It is also not a good idea to set your tire pressures near or at max as listed on tire sidewall. Follow what the vehicle sticker recommends or maybe 2-4 psi higher for better tire wear.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
Your R-class--like all Mercedes--comes from the factory Autobahn ready, i.e. for one thing equipped with very high performance tires. (In the USA that means 130mph tires for the R-class, in Europe even higher performance tires.)

Very high performance tires and tires that achieve long tread life are incompatible concepts.

You'll note your owners manual pretty strongly suggests that you fit only "MO" tires, i.e. Mercedes-approved tires. This will get you another set of 20K mile tires, of course.

One way to extend tire life, obviously, is to fit winter tires in the winter. This is in keeping with concern for vehicle performance.

Mercedes' reputation lies with its perfomance capabilities more than just the fact the star on the front is cute, and IMHO it's a shame to do things to the car that degrade that performance.

In the "refrigerator" class, the recent Motor Trend test prefers the Sienna slightly more than the Odyssey.

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,251 Posts
Hi everyone,

We just picked up a used 2008 r320 cdi, and we really love it so far. One problem we've noticed is that even though the car only has 17,000 miles, it is down to about 7mm of tread left on all the tires (Continental 4x4).

We can't guess how it was driven in the past, but if this continues we'll probably be at 20-25K when the tires need to be replaced.

Is this normal for the big heavy R class or are others doing better?

-chris
Yep normal for Conti 4X4 tires, mine lasted 23.000 miles. I replaced before the tread life mark was reached, just hate to get in an accident because of aqua-planning, I live in S FL, and the summer rain requires good tires..

You got yourself a nice car, do not put cheap stuff on it, cheap tires might give you 40-50K miles, but in and emergency they might not give you the grip on the road you need and you end up in an accident instead of a near accident

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep normal for Conti 4X4 tires, mine lasted 23.000 miles. I replaced before the tread life mark was reached, just hate to get in an accident because of aqua-planning, I live in S FL, and the summer rain requires good tires..

You got yourself a nice car, do not put cheap stuff on it, cheap tires might give you 40-50K miles, but in and emergency they might not give you the grip on the road you need and you end up in an accident instead of a near accident
I'm happy to spend more if I get more, which tires would you expect to perform well in the snow and last longer?

-chris

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,251 Posts
I'm happy to spend more if I get more, which tires would you expect to perform well in the snow and last longer?

-chris
For winter drive I would only use winter tires, they are made to work in freezing temps even there is no snow.

Also remember that the AWD will get you moving with all season tires in the snow, but they will not provide the same grip when you need to stop as the winter tires.

I live in S FL, so I can't help you with winter tires for the R-Class, but before I moved to S FL I used conti winter contact 870TS or something similar, they where good friction tires, but the car was an A4 sedan, the R-Class is way heavier than the A4.

Right now I run all seasons, the ContiExtremeContact DWS, they are still in my opinion better than the stock 4X4, but they are all season not winter tire, I would not drive them in snow or near freezing temps.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
440 Posts
Right now I run all seasons, the ContiExtremeContact DWS, they are still in my opinion better than the stock 4X4, but they are all season not winter tire, I would not drive them in snow or near freezing temps.
I see you got them before they were all sold out. I've been monitoring TR for the past few weeks. There doesn't seem to be any signs that they will get them anytime in the near future. I may have to settle for the Conti 4x4's again. Other than the fast wear rate, I've been very happy with their performance. Good grip in rain and snow, even in freezing temps.
-R

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1,251 Posts
I see you got them before they were all sold out. I've been monitoring TR for the past few weeks. There doesn't seem to be any signs that they will get them anytime in the near future. I may have to settle for the Conti 4x4's again. Other than the fast wear rate, I've been very happy with their performance. Good grip in rain and snow, even in freezing temps.
-R
Yep, got mine early in the year, when they came out, but they seam to be very popular, so far I'm happy with the noise vs grip level, also in rain they have performed very well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Get the Michelin latitudes...they are the new "MO" for the 2010 and up R's. From what I hear they are as good or better the continentals...Thats my next buy for sure...There is reason MB changed the manufacturer I think it has to do more with slightly better performance and wear overtime from the other MB models that have been using them already...and dont forget H rated or higher...I have a lead foot..so I like to push the R to higher speeds and boy does it handle better then at lower speeds...

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
New cars actually can come with a few different brands of tires. A lot has to do with how the car is ordered. Most R I have seen came with either Michelin or Conti 4x4. The Continental DSW is a highly rated tire that is very reasonable to buy, scores better than a Michelin Sport A/S tire per Tire Rack reviews. I personally do not buy Michelins, I can't justify the price they demand, and if they were the best tire out there, then everyone else can close up shop. Buy what you like and is in your budget, but definitely stay away from the Made in China tires, their sidewalls crack within 20k miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts