Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who haven't seen it, a recall letter was just sent out to owners of 2006-2008 ML, GL, R, and E classes with diesel engines. The problem is a crankshaft position sensor that can suddenly fail, leaving you stranded, or even worse, in the middle of an intersection turning into oncoming traffic (!)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yep Just got the letter. Scary!!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got mine last night.
Reminded me of all the PowerStroke diesels I've had. Everyone one of them had a spare CPS & wrench in the glovebox. Never knew when they would fail, but when they do, the engine is Dead Right There!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Got mine last night.
Reminded me of all the PowerStroke diesels I've had. Everyone one of them had a spare CPS & wrench in the glovebox. Never knew when they would fail, but when they do, the engine is Dead Right There!
Interesting! I have also heard of them failing on gasoline engines, where they can also cause sudden failure. Yet I wonder if because a diesel engine is a much harsher unit (temperatures and vibrations higher than a gasoline engine), that it would result in more problems with crankshaft-position sensors -- unless of course they are engineered to be extra robust. This would never been a problem in the old days of mechanical fuel injection systems, only with modern systems with sensors such as these.

I guess I also wonder if these high-tech diesels will last any where near what "old school" diesels were legendary for ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sure, modern diesels can actually last longer than the old school diesels, mechanically. I don't know why Ford/International/Navistar had so many CPS failures being they are simple magnetic/hall effect devices. The newer 6.0 & 6.4 PowerStrokes have fewer failures. Usually with Ford, it is bean-counter related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts