Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I have my oil changed other than the MB dealership? They want $120, that is insane. I would greatly appreciate any input on this topic.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
A DIY oil change at home for us is about $100+. Go to the dealer. You're risking your warranty at the same time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In what part of the Country are you located? Is the dealer performing any other inspection taks or is the $120 just for an oil change and filter?

BTW is your R320 consuming any oil between changes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 R320 CDI Oil Info: Forums like this are very helpful to me, so I thought I'd share my oil selection experience as well. If I suggest something does not correspond with your understanding, please let me know. Now to the OIL ... so, I've come to understand that our 2007 R320 CDI has a 'Diesel Particulate Filter' (DPF) and this model engine calls for a fully synthetic oil with the Mercedes specification "MB229.51" on the rear label. Take note of the ".51". This spec must not be confused with unapproved "MB229.5" -- ".5" -- which is NOT designed for vehicles with a 'Diesel Particulate Filter' (DPF). Again, the correct spec is "MB229.51" and not "MB229.5". The typical "MB229.51" recommendation I've found "Mobil1 ESP Formula M 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil" in one of the following weights: 0w30, 5w-30, or 5w-40. There is not a Mercedes dealership in our town and the NAPA, AutoZone, Advanced & O'Reilly stores do not carry, but will order the correct oil. It may also be ordered online from places such as Amazon and OIL CHANGE KITS (.com). NOW SOME POSSIBLE GOOD NEWS ... There is a BMW dealership in our town that performs routine Mercedes service. They carry "Castrol Edge Professional OE Full Synthetic 5W-30", which is clearly labeled with the "MB229.51" spec AND they sell it for $7.49/QT (their list price is $10.64). Since I no longer mess with oil changes at home, I take my own "MB229.51" spec oil and "Mann filter (HU 821 X Metal-Free) to my reliable quick change shop, where I pay $25 for the oil change and oil disposal. Knowing that R320 oil pan cover removal can be a pain, I've gotten in the habit of speaking directly to the pit tech before the work starts and explaining to him that I understand the cover removal removal is a pain -- and I'll hand him $10 and thank him in advance for getting it right -- and they always do. I've never had an issue. --So, in summary, my oil changes run $119 + $10 tip or $129, broken down as follows:
- 9.5 Quarts of Castrol Edge Professional OE Full Synthetic 5W-30, MB229.51: $81.08 (tax included for 10-quarts)
- 1 Mann oil filter - HU 821 X Metal-Free: $12.21 (all in from Amazon)
- 1 Oil Change fee for carry-in: $25.50 (tax included)
- $10 tip to the pit tech to properly manage the pan cover and drain plug removal and re-install
I hope this is useful info. Again, if you have info to add or see any issues with my oil selection, please let me know.
Good luck and enjoy your 2007 R320 CDI
-FIBERTOWNER

1 - 4 of 4 Posts