Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
SL55 - Awesome
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone got any tips on removing window switch from door please, the double one on drivers door.

·
Registered
03' SL55
18 Posts
Just wondering if you ever figured out how to take out the window switch? I have a problem with mine and can't figure it out...

·
Registered
SL55 - Awesome
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Window Switch removal

Just wondering if you ever figured out how to take out the window switch? I have a problem with mine and can't figure it out...
You need to remove door panel, (see other posts to do this), then remove door grab handle from panel, this is done by removing a number of screws, (i think it was 6 from memory, don't miss the small one), and manipulating it upwards and outwards, the switch can then be removed by pulling out two inserts, this allows switch to be removed upwards and out through the handle on an angle, front edge first. Whole process can be done in under hour. I took photos so if you need more info. feel free to send me your email address and i'll forward them to you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Removing the switch is a HUGE Pain in the ARS!!!

Absolutely a Ridiculous design! If you have done it before it can probably be done in an hour!

But otherwise removing the door panel and then if you are carefully trying to find all of the 6-8 black screws on the black inside of grab handle(2 screws are tiny and are hidden!) it will take a lot more time... Remember also there are also numerous wires and clips etc.

Then once you have the grab handle off on the back of the switch there are slide in stays/clips that you will have to figure out how they work....

With the switch I removed even after everything was removed the tabs on the back of the switch had to be forced out of the hole in the grab handle.... It was like the back part of the switch was to large for the hole and I did not want to scratch the leather but finally I just forced it out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
SL55 - Awesome
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i agree, under an hour is ambitious for the first time and maybe it could have been designed to be easier, but take your time, don't force anything and you will get it done and feel that great sense of achievement of not being outdone by those crafty MB designers to boot. I have photos if anybody needs them.

·
Registered
S550///AMG * SL500 * RangeRover * Honda VT1100
75 Posts
Driver Side Window

My window will go up but will not go down, i can hear grinding when I try, what part might I need and how? Any instructions will be appreciated. 03 SL500

·
Registered
S550///AMG * SL500 * RangeRover * Honda VT1100
75 Posts
OK guys. window is fixed but now I can't get it so slide under the trim when the door is closed. Are there any adjustments? What am I missing?

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG, 2012 CLS63 AMG, 2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
51 Posts

·
Registered
SL500R, 500SL, C230, 560SL, 560SEL, 450SL, 450SLC, 300CD.
146 Posts
You may just need to adjust the window rails angle.
Remove the door panel and locate the bottom attachments of of the window rails( front and back) to the inner door body and just loosen the nuts/bolts assembly than push the rails outward; toward the door skin that is if you want the window top more inward; or toward the car interior if outward window top position is required.
This can take a little time and effort but the end result is very rewarding in the way of making a waterproof and or windproof seal. Not to mention a rattle free door shut and assembly.
Time and use can loosen these bolts and tightening them can be required and useful.
Just remember that little bottom rails adjustment can create a wide angle at the top thus forcing the glass to hit and potentially damage the top robber seal if repeated attempt is practiced. So easy does it.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Window Switch removal

You need to remove door panel, (see other posts to do this), then remove door grab handle from panel, this is done by removing a number of screws, (i think it was 6 from memory, don't miss the small one), and manipulating it upwards and outwards, the switch can then be removed by pulling out two inserts, this allows switch to be removed upwards and out through the handle on an angle, front edge first. Whole process can be done in under hour. I took photos so if you need more info. feel free to send me your email address and i'll forward them to you.
I could do with a look at those photos if you still have them please, [email protected] 😀😀

1 - 12 of 12 Posts