Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Can anyone help me. Just as I was turning into my road I lost all drive and coasted to a halt. The motor was running fine but it was as though the transmission had shifted into neutral. I tried shifting to reverse, nothing and then shifting back to drive, still nothing. In the end I switched off the engine and then re-started. I shifted into drive which engaged and I moved off.
I'm concered that this might not just be one of those hard to diagnose faults, but potentially a very dangerous one.
I drive a 2005 SLK 350 with 7 speed auto box and 20k miles. on the clock. Has anyone heard of this problem before?

·
Registered
966 Posts
still under warranty so i would take it in to dealer. i had something similiar and they had to reinialize the adaptive learning feature. good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
still under warranty so i would take it in to dealer. i had something similiar and they had to reinialize the adaptive learning feature. good luck!
same thing happened to me, although in my case , the stupid techs had not closed the transmission drain plug at a previous service, so the transmission fluid had been leaking out over time. eventually when it gets to a critical level, the car's ecu does not let you shift anymore to prevent you from damaging the gears...

--->warranty<---

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I heard from several members that it was a one time thing, I would take it to your dealer and have them hook it up to the STAR diagnostic, they should be able to find the problem if it's anything serious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Back to the dealer it is then. I wonder whether this has this happened to anyone more than once?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I am experiencing the same problem but worst, could anybody help?

I purchase my dream car, the SLK 350 2005 from Japan and got delivery on April 26th, 2008. Within one week I started experiencing transmission problems where the vehicle the would go into “Lump Mode” although there would be a “no malfunction” display. Initially after turning off the engine the transmission would work fine but after two weeks the frequency of this occurring increased.

I had the vehicle inspected and was told that it appears to be a hardware failure.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi all. Can anyone help me. Just as I was turning into my road I lost all drive and coasted to a halt. The motor was running fine but it was as though the transmission had shifted into neutral. I tried shifting to reverse, nothing and then shifting back to drive, still nothing. In the end I switched off the engine and then re-started. I shifted into drive which engaged and I moved off.
I'm concered that this might not just be one of those hard to diagnose faults, but potentially a very dangerous one.
I drive a 2005 SLK 350 with 7 speed auto box and 20k miles. on the clock. Has anyone heard of this problem before?
I have an '05 SLK55, and I experienced the same exact scenario as you did more than once. The dealer replaced the transmission control module with an updated unit, and I never experienced the problem again. That was 2 or 3 years ago. As I recall Mercedes issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on this issue, and it was easy for the dealer to disgnose the problem as one of the car's computers stored problem codes that the dealer was able to see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts