Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ive had my SLK for 2 months now doing various work on it Just tried it this morning,and though the battery appears charged,the starter just gives a series of clicks .Its been fine up to now Its still too hot to bother much and I`m just getting over Covid even after 4 vaccines Len

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery terminals OK?
Hello Ive had my SLK for 2 months now doing various work on it Just tried it this morning,and though the battery appears charged,the starter just gives a series of clicks .Its been fine up to now Its still too hot to bother much and I`m just getting over Covid even after 4 vacc I also noticed the ASR warning light number 6 is on Im afraid that Im getting a bit despondent Im having treatment for cancer and thing are getting on top of me I thought when I went out this morning for the first time in a couple of weeks every thing would be plain sailing Len

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have the equipment try a jumper lead from the battery earth to a clean earth point on the engine- that should confirm the condition of your battery's earth.
Thanks for the info. My wife and myself are both suffering,from Covid We`ve had all 4 vaccines but it has still hit us hard,so the car will have to wait in line,before I try anything I`ll keep you posted I makes you realise how bad it would have been without the vaccines,the Merc.would have been the least of my worries Len

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello ive finally tested NEG on the Covid tester ,so I thought a quick look at the Merc I removed the battery and then put good jump leads from my Ford onto the Merc .First thing is the hazard lights are all going though the switch is off The starter is still clicking when I try to start the car and also the roof wont fold There is no light on the roof button I dont feel 100 % so wil have to leave it ,but anyone any ideas I could understand the starter being iffy but why the hazards and why the roof not working Len

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
640 Posts
I hardly use my 1/2" drive tools- they are too cumbersome , I can't recall breaking any of my high quality 3/8" drive gear even though I occasionally resort to hammers and pipe extensions to remove stubborn fasteners.

Removing the starter doesn't seem to be to hard. Have a look at this:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hardly use my 1/2" drive tools- they are too cumbersome , I can't recall breaking any of my high quality 3/8" drive gear even though I occasionally resort to hammers and pipe extensions to remove stubborn fasteners.

Removing the starter doesn't seem to be to hard. Have a look at this:

Im wondering,if there is a bad connection on the starter.The lead from the battery usually goes to the starter and a lead is taken off,as a feed for the electrics.The starter clicks when trying to start it as though the battery is low also the roof does the same,it did work Why the hazards are on all the while is another question We returned from holiday in Italy and I tested pos.for covid a few days after.This has meant ,that Ive had to put off my regular injections I have to have for cancer.So the merc. is one worry I dont need at the moment.Thanks for all the advice Im getting its all very welcome Len

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
640 Posts
Most of my electrical problems on the R170 have been solved by breaking, cleaning and resassembling all the relevant electrical connections. These cars are getting on for 24 years old now and the connections are building up resistance due to age corrosion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Morning it seems as though the voltage ,to the solenoid starter has dropped If it was only the starter causing problems I would suspect that.But after standing a while when I tried it the starter was clicking the roof started its process of opening the boot opened lowly,but when the roof was due to open it just clicked,again as though the power wasnt there Finally the hazard lights are running all the time ,while the battery is connected.Does anyone know where I could obtain a decent size wiring diagram of the R170 I may be able to tie up the three problems.Unfortunately catching Covid even after 4 vaccines meant I have had to pospone my cancer treatment .I am getting to the point ,where I think would have less trouble without the Merc.Len

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Morning it seems as though the voltage ,to the solenoid starter has dropped If it was only the starter causing problems I would suspect that.But after standing a while when I tried it the starter was clicking the roof started its process of opening the boot opened lowly,but when the roof was due to open it just clicked,again as though the power wasnt there Finally the hazard lights are running all the time ,while the battery is connected.Does anyone know where I could obtain a decent size wiring diagram of the R170 I may be able to tie up the three problems.Unfortunately catching Covid even after 4 vaccines meant I have had to pospone my cancer treatment .I am getting to the point ,where I think would have less trouble without the Merc.Len
Does anyone know where the lead to the sterter solenoid goes to If I can trace this and see if the voltage is down,it may lead me to the roof problem and hazards

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone know where the lead to the sterter solenoid goes to If I can trace this and see if the voltage is down,it may lead me to the roof problem and hazards
Good morning,Ive ordered a torx socket it was the one thing in my tool selection I dont have I was restoring the car which was going well and I was concentrating on the body work There were a few rust scabs,and one or two panels had been sprayed with a rattle can Ive completed from the windscreen back and it looking very good I have decided to complete the bodywork and spraying,then get down to the starter, roof and hazard lights I cant understand why these should be on all the time The roof didn`t open when bought and it needed a thump to start it. I adjusted the two cables and it was fine,so its quite annoynig to have trouble with it again . I`ll have another go at the car,when I feel better

1 - 20 of 32 Posts