Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Down here in Australia low mileage R170 SLK200's can be had for an absolute song. I'm talking about the non-supercharged, M111.946 135BHP version. The only trouble is they couldn't pull a sick woman off a pisspot.

So...... I was thinking a nice little turbocharger hanging off the side for about 300-350BHP would make one of these things absolutely hilarious.

Has anyone fitted a turbocharger to one of these or knows of a complete turbocharger kit for this car?

·
1998 SLK 230
2,631 Posts
They have been turbocharged but there are some problems putting forced induction into an engine that was not originally forced induction. that means fuel system upgrade, ECU and also the compression of the motor. You would be better of starting with a supercharged version.

I did think about this too and the main problem for these cars is its RHD in Australia, which means the steering box is right under the exhaust manifold for us. this leaves very very limited room to put a turbo there, and also limits its size.

I would honestly just get a supercharged version, up the boost using a pulley kit and it will have good enough poke to keep you happy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would honestly just get a supercharged version, up the boost using a pulley kit and it will have good enough poke to keep you happy!
Thanks for your input but I was really asking about anyone who had actually done this conversion or knew about a kit.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,631 Posts
I have been on the forums a long time and to my knowledge on these forums and the wider forums, no one has done it on the R170 chassis. People have however turboed the M111 motor on such chassis as the w203 etc. and it holds up well to big boost.

1 company did offer a turbo kit (as in a replacement to the supercharger) but now no longer available. It was made by Lotec. To my knowledge, no one offered a standalone kit for a naturally aspirated car.

Some details of their kits are below;

Stage 1
Boost level
= 0.45bar / 6.5psi
Power = 154Kw @ 5,300rpm
Torque = 325Nm @ 3,700rpm
0-100km/h = 7.1s
Top Speed = 235km/h

• High peformance intercooler
  • New pressure pipe with enlarged cross-section between the intercooler and air mass meter
  • K&N air filter
approx $1,700USD

Stage 2
Boost leve
l = 0.7bar / 10.2psi
Power = 176Kw
Torque = 350Nm @ 3,700rpm
0-100km/h = 6.8s
Top Speed = 245km/h

- Stage 1, Plus...

• Larger drive wheel (220mm) on the crankshaft
  • Englarged intake to Kompressor
  • Engine RPM increased by 200rpm
approx $3,400USD

Stage 3
Boost level
= 0.9bar / 13psi
Power = 221Kw @ 5,500rpm
Torque = 380Nm @ 4,150rpm
0-100km/h = 5.2s (est)
Top Speed = 265km/h

• Install turbocharger
  • Install turbo exhaust manifold
  • Install large intake pipe with hot air mass sensor and special throttle valve
  • ECU tuning
  • Replace rear axle with longer ratio
approx $15,000USD

·
1998 SLK 230
2,631 Posts
The only tuners which I know of are Kleemann and RENNtech have superchargers for the SLK320 (v6) - no one does turbo kits. These kits (if still available) are over $8,000 USD.

The topic has been discussed before and the consensus was that it's just not practical. The rest of the car would need to cope with the performance (i.e. transmission, brakes, suspension). The resale value of a tuned car is very low. You would be better off and cheaper to jump to an SLK32

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well Subby technically you are right that a turbo setup will cost a lot. But consider this, with the right ECU (Flashable and known maps for the software/Worse on siemens Sim4le than on ME2.1) it isnt impossible to do this setup cheaper than 1000USD.
Mosselman turbo log manifold: 300USD
Ebay GT35 oil cooled built in wastegate turbo capable of 300-400hp: 200USD
Oil line feeds and fittings: 40USD
Intercooler: 100USD
Charge piping: 100USD
400cc Injectors from a junked car: 50USD
New colder spark plugs: 30USD
BOV: 40USD
Downpipe build: ~40USD if you build it yourself

Galletto 1260 for remapping: 13USD
software: FREE
Remapping yourself or asking someone nicely to remap the fueling and adjust timing: Price might depend.
Total: 913USD

And you can further reduce the cost by building the turbo manifold yourself.

Transmission should hold atleast 300hp at the crank if not too much tourqe.
Clutch disc might need to be changed to a better one.
Suspension and brakes can be stock if you dont want to go tracking with the car.

So I mean, if you pull all this together yourself it doesnt have to get expensive. It just means you gotta put down some work yourself.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,631 Posts
Tuning, especially in Australia is very hard for the bosch me 2.1 ecu. Some people can do it but you are looking at $1,000 - $1,200. Most tuners don't know how to tune it and will simply suggest going piggyback ECU or an ECU to drive 1-2 more injectors in the intake manifold. This alone is costly...

Mossleman did do a turbo kit for the R170 and so did Lotec, but they didn't net much more significant gains vs the cost. on average most kits got 260hp at the crank. The size of the turbo is a limiting factor in the R170 application.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tuning, especially in Australia is very hard for the bosch me 2.1 ecu. Some people can do it but you are looking at $1,000 - $1,200. Most tuners don't know how to tune it and will simply suggest going piggyback ECU or an ECU to drive 1-2 more injectors in the intake manifold. This alone is costly...

Mossleman did do a turbo kit for the R170 and so did Lotec, but they didn't net much more significant gains vs the cost. on average most kits got 260hp at the crank. The size of the turbo is a limiting factor in the R170 application.
I have knowledge how to find the maps for timing, RPM and fuel no matter the ME2.1 software in Winols, and I am just an amatuer, but I do want to put down the work and time tuning on bigger injectors and different forced inductions. Sure, live tuning is a wonder and less guess work than flashing, driving on the street and add pointers and redo the tune and reflash. But it isnt impossible if you put down the time to learn the software.

The current ECU I have(Pre 97/08 ECU HW48.95) isnt flashable and only tunable by chip tuning. So far I know the ones before august / 97 isnt flashable via 38 pin, after that date it works by putting the ecu into boot mode and write through the K-line.
My engine is a m111.975 so its not a high compression c200, but turbocharging in the ground comes down to the same basics.

I know it isnt widely known tuning on these ECUS, mostly because there are no special maps on them. I am still searching and trying to define what other maps except Spark Timing, Boost map, Fuel map and RPM map there is, but there must be more, because it is a drive by wire setup.

However, bigger injectors and adjustable FPR you can scale with not so much problem via map tuning, but knowing how and where to change the map to the boost/airflow curve is the hard part.

I do have in my mind how to build a turbo manifold and twincharging this setup cheaply, but the tuning is where I have decided to get a newer version of the same HW ECU and flash with a computer instead do get it to work.

Of course it will be a hassle, but I am aiming to have atleast 300hp on the wheels once I am done, hopefully even more and still keep the cost under 400USD.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,631 Posts
Lorinser also did a turbo kit for the SLK. It only made 250hp again restricted due to the turbos size. cost vs output was not worth it. RENNtech had a stage 2 kit back in the day with a crankshaft pulley + ported s/c + intercooler which made 240-250hp.

The only ones which made in excess of 300hp were the twin charged setups (Hagmann) which had the supercharger and turbo charger run together.

Attachments

·
1998 SLK 230
2,631 Posts
Yeah agreed... also about 28 SLK32's were sold in Australia making them pretty rare cars here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts