Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have had a few issues with my hard top recently, at first I thought it was the hydraulic arm that lifts the boot lid as that was very stiff (compared to the other) since replacing it i can now manually put the roof up & down. I've tested the relay for the pump that works fine, tested both switches in the boot still no joy. I noticed when I pressed the button for the roof the light would flash, if I double press it the front windows go down but not the rear, if I then single press the button the opposite way the front windows go up fine and it sounds like the roof tries to lock its self however the rear still don't budge, so I decided to pull the interior apart to test the motor for the rear windows incase that was giving an error prohibiting the roof from going up or down. since testing it with a test meter I have found that there is no power at all going to the motors for both the rear windows. Is there any chance maybe a relay has blown or where I can find the relay (if there is one) to test?!

Any help would be amazing!

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
482 Posts
If you don't have an R170 vario roof diagnostic tool, the best way to sort out roof problems is work methodically from the start using the operation and test sequence detailed in the stickys at the top of the page.

My bet is that a sticking microswitch is stopping power going to the window motors.

·
Registered
SLK230 Kompressor
62 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what the issue is you are having, but this may be of help.
In the boot there are 3 switches: 1 for the luggage cover, 1 boot open limit and 1 for roof open limit. The boot open is located on a plate at the right rear of the car. The roof open is located behind the driver under the flap that covers the hinge when the roof is open.

There other two more switches in the roof that tell the car when the roof is closed. If your roof isn't latching and the windows not rolling up it's likely one or both of these if faulty or dislodged.

If nothing whatsoever happens when you press the button then either your pump has been depressurised using the Allen key or the luggage cover is not closed or the switch is not engaging.
If you can manually put the roof down, you must have depressurised the pump to do this?

The rear windows only have power to them when they are being directed to open / close. You can apply 12v directly to the motors for those windows and wind them up / down manually. Just reverse the terminals to move them the other way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts