Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

R170 Rear View Mirror

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  atlakehaven 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2001 230 slk for my wife. It's our first mercedes and surely not our last. I really like this car. It has 77k on it but I think its gonna be fun for a couple of years. The mirror looks like it's 2 tone, with half of it being black. I know this has probably been discussed to death, and I apologize for resurecting (sp?) it again.

What's the cheapest alternative to replace it? I presume you can't anyone to stand behind it by now becasue its too old. The dealer wants $200.00 to replace it. I'm not paying 200 clams to replace to rear view mirror that doesn't even have a temperature guage or compass in it. Hell for 200 bucks it better have bluetooth and a range finder. Anyway. Has anyone replaced it with an aftermarket mirror that works well for less or come up with another alternative? Thanks in Advance.

#2 ·
The interior (and driver's exterior) rear view mirror has a self-dimming feature that actually works (when it's working) to keep headlights behind you from blinding you. When I got my car early last year, the mirror wasn't dimming and I got it replaced. What a difference it made! Unfortunately, I think it's stopped working (dimming) recently, so I'll have to take it back to the dealer to have it checked. But when it works, I have to say that it's well worth the cost.

#3 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I said the heck with it and ordered a non-auto dimming mirror. It's a regular MB part. I want to add that I don't do much night driving so was not particularly bothered with it. It was working and dimmed the outside mirrors to the point that through the tinted side windows I had just a faint indication of headlights behind me. I think it was about $30 but if you like I'll look up my source and the part number for you.

#7 ·
The Mercedes part number is: 170-810-03-17. Should be available from any M-B dealer.
I bought mine from M-B of Westwood and paid $24.80 for the mirror and & $7.95 shipping. I would check your local sources first.

#10 ·
We ended up buying an aftermarket mirror with a camera. It was bigger (which is a real good idea) and works great. Amazon has several styles and types that easily attach. Here is one example and it is less than $100

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.