Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
R134a Sniffer ... OR Dye ???

:thumbsup: Thanks for all the good info on AC tips/repairs...

Well, I wonder how they can sell the can of R134a with leak sealant and not get sued by the lawyer drivers when it screws up their AC system?

That link to the W210 AC evaporator DIY repair was GREAT! Sadly, his evaporator went bad again the next year... he was talking about making sure it is replaced with a copper coil evaporator, which the factory is not... I even joined the group and thanked him for a well done job. That would be a great sticky DIY for the benzworld!

Wow! 28 hours for W140 evaporator repairs... that's when an extended warranty pays off!!

I will buy that harbor freight freon sniffer and start sniffing around... :D

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Start

around compressor fittings and condenser fittings.Follow the directions.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
...Wow! 28 hours for W140 evaporator repairs... that's when an extended warranty pays off!!...
I'm nearly positive that's what the salesman (who owns an S320) and a tech who had recently done one said. They are pretty hard to access, I think the whole dash has to come out, etc.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,855 Posts
I read somewhere, that one shop owner developed a technique (I think it was for Land-rover) that instead of pulling whole dash in 28 hr he just cuts the hole in firewall in 2 hr. That lives some liability issues, but all customers approved the savings.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Jaguar

cut and R/R with the owners approval.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Read the directions when all else fails... !!!

:thumbsup: Thanks for the sniffing tips... will also plastic bag the condenser... and if all else fails, will read and follow directions! hahaha!

From the DIY link I don't think the Mercedes lends itself to cutting the firewall to get out the evaporator as it is buried and packed in with wires and hoses everywhere! Wish it was that easy... but never on a Mercedes.

I just saw a new thread from someone with a 99 E430 who's AC is blowing Hot air... guess I'll give him some help and tips.

Thanks guys... :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.