Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Yes... Stop the leak!

G-AMG, where exactly was that micro leak in your condenser??? Was it at a solder joint??? What was that sniffer they used to find the leak?

I guess they will have to substitute CO2 refrigerant for R134a now to save the environment?

Problem is all the developing countries (China and India, etc.) still use R12 freon and no smog/environmental standards/laws ..... three weeks later their smog circles around the globe to us and we pay to clean it up!

:D

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
1 small can of R134 WITH leak sealant should do the trick...

:) thanks for pix/info on freon leak/detector....

uh.. but... I will have to think really hard about junking my baby if the evaporator has the leak!!!

Most likely it is a small one, most people would just add a can of R134a every year, but shouldn't the freon with the sealant/oil/high mileage freon stop the small leaks???

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
R134a Sniffer ... OR Dye ???

:thumbsup: Thanks for all the good info on AC tips/repairs...

Well, I wonder how they can sell the can of R134a with leak sealant and not get sued by the lawyer drivers when it screws up their AC system?

That link to the W210 AC evaporator DIY repair was GREAT! Sadly, his evaporator went bad again the next year... he was talking about making sure it is replaced with a copper coil evaporator, which the factory is not... I even joined the group and thanked him for a well done job. That would be a great sticky DIY for the benzworld!

Wow! 28 hours for W140 evaporator repairs... that's when an extended warranty pays off!!

I will buy that harbor freight freon sniffer and start sniffing around... :D

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
Read the directions when all else fails... !!!

:thumbsup: Thanks for the sniffing tips... will also plastic bag the condenser... and if all else fails, will read and follow directions! hahaha!

From the DIY link I don't think the Mercedes lends itself to cutting the firewall to get out the evaporator as it is buried and packed in with wires and hoses everywhere! Wish it was that easy... but never on a Mercedes.

I just saw a new thread from someone with a 99 E430 who's AC is blowing Hot air... guess I'll give him some help and tips.

Thanks guys... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.