Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Yesterday I tried to adjust the driver side window on my '97 SL320. The factory video procedure was easy to follow.

However having loosened the locking nuts then turned the small centre bolts I found the window did not move. I tried the two different adjusters and could not get either to effect a change.

Can anyone tell me what i should try next?

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
21 Posts
Window 2001 r129

I recently had my whole door stripped out and changed a scratched window. I have seen the video, and my car did not have the external adjusters that you get access to via the plastic bump covers. I had the internal door card off and slackened the 3 adjusters from inside, and just kept pulling the window into position until it was correct. Try slackening the bolts and pull the window into position.. It may be sticking in the raising rail. What direction are you trying to adjust.. And why has it moved?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rocketfixer,

My car does have the two adjusters, accessed through the door skin from the outside, just as the factory video outlining the procedure shows. Its just that turning the bolts does not move the window.

I've had my 1997 R129 6 months and its always had wind noise at the drivers window, and I thought adjustments looked simple enough, so it was worth a try. If only.

That said, its seems you are using an alternative method of adjustment. Where are the the three bolts located inside of the door?

Regards
Paul

·
10,293 Posts
All R129 have both, inside and outside adjusters...

The video is over simplified BTW, adjusting the glass is much more involving than that video...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, you've convinced me the way forward is via the inside adjusters.

Thank you to you both.

Regards
Paul

·
10,293 Posts
tell me how you want to adjust your glass and i ll tell you what to turn

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the glass can rotated as viewed from the side of the car, and also have the top edge moved inwards and outwards.

I was going to try both adjustments separately, with a test drive between each to try and determine which adjustment my car needs.

I already know about synching the windows by holding the raise switch down for more than 10 seconds when in key position 2.

Could you tell me all of the adjustments possible?

Regards
Paul

·
10,293 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
alternate method??

Great PDF. my car is different.. 2001?
In the end I opened the window by 1/2 inch, worked out where it needed adjusting. moved the window to a position where i could get to the 3 bolts on the window carrier rail. put masking tape on the window to mark the current position, and then slackened the bolts and pulled/pushed the window into what i thought was the correct adjusted position based on my original workings out. tightend bolts and closed the window to check... I got it 1st time.
Bit vague,, but hope it helps.

·
10,293 Posts
Yep, that's exactly how the middle rail is adjusted, you need to roll the glass slowly, until you can see the nuts through the holes...

Glad the PDF helped somewhat...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bayhas,

I can't thank you enough. I am extremely grateful for the time you have taken in producing the drawing to help me.

If I am correct, the externally accessible adjustment bolts are only to adjust Z axis position (as per pdf definition of Z axis - in and out).

This in my opinion makes the video for adjustment pretty misleading, I believed that these two external adjustment bolts could also rotate the window on the xy plane, having watched the video.

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Bayhas,

4 years after your original post and your "Good Benz Karma" continues as that .pdf was very helpful with my driver window today.

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts