Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

361 - 377 of 377 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
The S500 wheels use M14 bolts wheel and your SL M12. I reckon 10mm of thread going into the hub would be okay, careful if the thread is too long on the back, it can catch on the brake shoes, if this happens grind them down a bit to get clearance.

2 Options.
a) Buy 12mm bolts with 14mm ball seats
b) Buy spacers that bolt onto a hub with 12mm bolts but is tapped for 14mm wheel bolts.

Neither is perfect, but b) is slightly better because you don't have to use extra long bolts with a non std seat.

Mercedes Alloys - Alloy Wheels Direct

The best option is to sell the wheels and buy some that fit the car. Don't use those wheels with M12 bolts, they won't torque up correctly.

after doing a lot of looking at spacer info recently i need to put forward another point of view :smile. longer bolts with the correct ball seat are much preferable to bolt on spacers. if spacers are required then bolt through hubcentrics with longer bolts are the way to go. reasons ........

- the bolt on spacer adds unsprung weight in a situation where we are already making it worse by adding heavier wheels and tyres

- bolt on spacers are subjected to bending loads when cornering which, in admittedly extreme circumstances, can lead to failure. do a search for "spacer failures" and you'll see that they are all bolt ons.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spacer+failure&biw=1422&bih=670&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSpe-PqbDMAhUOGY4KHd6lDI0QsAQIGw

- a fitted bolt through spacer is in compression and it's hard to see how, if correctly fitted, it could fail.

- fitting the wheels with the correct length 12mm dia bolts with 14mm rad ball seat will bolt up correctly - the wheel is centred by the hub either directly if fitted with no spacer or through the spacer hub if required. the requirement for a hubcentric lip limits the minimum spacer thickness to 10mm. as the projecting hub length is circa 10mm it may be possible to fit a flat 5mm spacer (or smaller) while leaving enough hub prejecting to centre the wheel.

- btw hub extenders are available for bmw's which allow fitting spacers of <10mm thickness while still permitting correct centering of the wheel/spacer.

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,830 Posts
I reckon 10mm of thread going into the hub would be okay,

I'm pretty sure you want closer to 15-17mm into the hub, about 3/4" (but I could be wrong). I see others say 12mm is right, as some authorities say at least 8 threads must stick out the back (~12mm).

I can check this number, but at least 4-7 turns into the hub once the bolt starts threading in. I think it's 4+ for the rear and about 6-7 for the front. (It's more dangerous if a front wheel falls off then a rear.). Most of my experience comes from earlier models with less power, like the r107.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm pretty sure you want closer to 15-17mm into the hub, about 3/4" (but I could be wrong). I see others say 12mm is right, as some authorities say at least 8 threads must stick out the back (~12mm).

I can check this number, but at least 4-7 turns into the hub once the bolt starts threading in. I think it's 4+ for the rear and about 6-7 for the front. (It's more dangerous if a front wheel falls off then a rear.). Most of my experience comes from earlier models with less power, like the r107.

the hub thickness is the determining factor - if we know that then we can calculate the number of turns of the bolt required for full insertion. i found this cross section of a w40 front hub ....
. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hubilLKEBXM/UG008wc1WII/AAAAAAAAX3c/we9VRsqyFVc/s1600/Steering2.bmp

the w40 wheel bolts are 12mm diameter and, using this as a measure, the hub thickness is circa 12mm. assuming no chamfer this indicates that it would take 8 turns (12mm dia/1.5mm thread pitch) for the bolt to fully engage. this is a reasonably good fit with the anecdotal claim that it takes 6 - 7 turns for full engagement of the wheel bolt.

i don't understand why some minimum bolt length should stick out the back?

·
Registered
603 Posts

The "number of turns" is based upon thread pitch converted to length. Generally speaking, as I understand it, inserting roughly the diameter of the bolt into the hub is the minimum given the shear strength of the bolt-Otis's recommendation of 17mm for a 14mm bolt is a conservative interpretation of this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can someone help me to see if these wheels I’m interested in can fit on my R129 the rims are ESM 015 and they come in 18” or 19” ... I was told these wheels (18”) will not fit on my R129 ..they have a bunch of
Different sizes and ET , i know I need adapters because they don’t come
In 5x112 but is anyone able to tell me if any of these sizes and offsets in the attached photos are able to fit the R129? Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I’ve got this company to custom make me rims for my 1990 500SL. These are the dimensions, pls let me know if anyone has experience with fitting these size rims on early R129s and if there will be any issues? I have to wait three months and pay upfront for the rims and can’t return them...

18x8.5 5x112 ET35 66.6

Thank you!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I’ve got this company to custom make me rims for my 1990 500SL. These are the dimensions, pls let me know if anyone has experience with fitting these size rims on early R129s and if there will be any issues? I have to wait three months and pay upfront for the rims and can’t return them...

18x8.5 5x112 ET35 66.6

Thank you!
All the information are looking for you will find right here, best advise I can offer:

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1449768-r129-wheel-sizes-ets-2.html

Match the sizes ESM offers with the offsets and sizes on that page and all the notes with tire sizes are listed there

Regards,
D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will these fit on a 97 SL500. Sorry for the newb question, I have read quite a few pages on here, and some others had issues with brake clearance with the fronts.

Thank you.

staggered
front 18" x 8" offset +35
rear 18" x 9" offset +30

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Will these fit on a 97 SL500. Sorry for the newb question, I have read quite a few pages on here, and some others had issues with brake clearance with the fronts.

Thank you.

staggered
front 18" x 8" offset +35
rear 18" x 9" offset +30
Did you end getting an answer?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nobody wants to answer because nobody knows if the fronts have the caliper space required for the r129 brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s what I thought...sucks. Makes it so hard to fit a lot of wheels on the car without test fit.

361 - 377 of 377 Posts