Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1994 SL600
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new owner of '94 SL600 I wanted to get my hands on one of these service DVDs. I called up MB USA as per the instructions on one of the sticky threads, just to be told that the "R129 STAR Classic Service Manual Library on DVD" is no longer produced! The p/n given in the sticky is apparently now obsolete with no replacement number.

So if anyone has an extra to sell, let me know...

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Is there a way to reproduce this DVD ourselves if it is truly not going to become available again? It is one of the best resources we have, as we all know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question, but most likely no. This is due to the copyright issues around all the content on the DVD. I would actually be REALLY surprised if MB would let us freely make copies.

I asked the phone rep to get me connected to the right folks to give them feedback on this. I got a call from one of their "product managers" and I explained how critical this DVD is for all SL owners who want to work DIY and preserve their vehicles. The need for this DVD actually increases over time as our cars get older and especially with SL that are super complex vehicles. The person took my feedback but did not promised to close the loop with me regarding their decision to either continue with production or not.

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
I returned from Germany last night where I visited the MB museum and classic center.
The DVD is still available as I purchased a copy. The classic center diverted me to EVO, a subsidiary that handles logistics for the Mercedes-Benz Collection.

The dealership in Stuttgart told me that the P/N for the CD is outside the regular system, and some dealers may not recognize it.

This is the catalog of available literature: Mercedes-Benz Classic - Classic Literature - New Products

And this where you can purchase it:
Mercedes-Benz Collection Shop - Modellautos (1:18, 1:43, 1:24, 1:87) - Uhren, Mercedes-Benz Fahrzeug-Pflege, Kinder-Spielzeug, Technische Literatur

They had the w126 coming out, unfortunately I couldn't stay extra days to wait for it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1988 300E - Diamond Blue, 1997 SL320 - Black Opal
262 Posts
Follow up on this, I do not have either a DVD or CD. Does anybody know if this manual is available in any other format?

Its a bit of a bother trying to get information in some of the older formats.

jb

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ELBEIK - thanks for your post, lots of good pointers.

The sticky gives P-2700-129-07 as the p/n for the DVD but through your links the literature catalog gives real MB part number 6516 5621 76 as the number for the DVD.

I will call the MB USA customer service again and try that latter part number later. I will also see what the dealer says about that part number and its availability.

Looks like all hope is not lost. As a last resort, I will see if some of my good friends in Germany can get me one locally and send over :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad news - MB in the U.S. does not recognize part number 6516 5621 76 at all, probably due to the fact it is European specific part number...

My dealer confirmed the U.S. DVD with number P-2700-129-07 is now backordered with no ETA.

Anyone willing to loan their DVD for a couple of days so I could run some printouts from it? If so, please send me private message.

I will pay postage both ways and perhaps even a few dollars for your kind help!

·
Sith Lord
11,814 Posts
You can order it from the link I posted.

It would be best if you asked what specific section do you need and someone with the DVD could send you PDF's via email, instead of shuffling the DVD by post. Actually, there are some issues covered in this forum.

Note that the DVD is copy-protected.

Best,

·
Sith Lord
11,814 Posts
I don't have it at hand, but you could select English, German or Spanish if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And with shipping factored in (but without the EU sales tax, VAT, when ordered to U.S. address) the total comes to 153.40 euros which is $189 :-( Quite steep compared to the $80 price tag in the U.S.

I would like to peruse the DVD first hand so if anyone is willing to loan the DVD, I would greatly appreciate it.

Worst case I need to get it ordered at this ridiculously expensive price... :-(

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I have the DVD available and figured out how to get around the copy protection.

It's buggy on vista machines and some SP3 XP boxes, but it does work on 99% of the computers I've put it on.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1998 SL500, Panoramic Roof, Factory Xenons, Black/Black/Black 2012 GLK350 Black/Beige
127 Posts
Found the Star manual for 129 on Craig's List for $30 - MERCEDES BENZ R129 SL CLASS SERVICE AND REPAIR MANUAL . I bought one and it works fine on my XP box; purchased with PayPal and had it in two days. You do have to de-install your current version of Acrobat Reader and install v 5.1 which is included.

·
Registered
92 500SL- Front/Rear ALPs LAZER :: Front/Rear/Arrows RADENSO RC-M REMOTE
315 Posts
Jonathon,

Ran into you couple years ago and got your buss card here in Alpharetta. Of course the number was old and I assumed you weren't playing benz anymore. Good to see you round here.

Robert
benzmanbandit

·
Registered
95 SL320, 2007 LTZ 4x4 Suburban, 2010 4x4 Silverado
5 Posts
Mercedes Benz R129 SL Class Service and Repair Manual

MERCEDES BENZ R129 SL CLASS SERVICE AND REPAIR MANUAL on DVD $30.00- Contact: "[email protected]"

I also bought one (like boydm in post) and it works fine on my XP box; purchased with PayPal and had it in two and 1/2 days. You do have to de-install your current version of Acrobat Reader and install v 5.1 which is included. Also instructions come along with it to tell you how to use on the computer. Was what I needed.

·
Registered
99 SL500R Sport Pkg Pano roof
137 Posts
R129 STAR Classic Service Manual Library on DVD no longer available!

Just called MBUSA Customer care to try to purchase a copy of the DVD maintenance manual and was told sold out, discontinued, not going to produce any more. Sounds like an opportunity for some entreprenurial spirit here folks!?!?

Performance Products has one, part # P99-385L for $155 US. Anyone have any experience with this version or a good suggestion on what might be the best alternative version? My wife is going to buy one for me as a Christmas present.

TIA,
Lowen

·
Sith Lord
11,814 Posts
It's available from the Mercedes Classic center in Europe.

The link is available if you make a search.

·
Registered
99 SL500R Sport Pkg Pano roof
137 Posts
Going to give the cheap route a try...

Figured that with the alternatives probably running $150-190 I would give the $25 route a try first.

Just ordered the disc mentioned by Boyd et al above. Should have it in a few days and will let you know how it works out. Claimed to now work on Windows 7, etc. and to also be compatible with Acrobat 9. We'll see....:thumbsup:

Lowen

·
Registered
1992 500 SL
20 Posts
I just bought the one from the guy in Atlanta, actually met him at a coffee shop to get it. In his emails he swore it was his personal copy, original and copy protected but it is a hacked copy. Still it worked. It works with adobe 9, no need to use version 5. but it does not work with adobe 10 or X.

It is about 1 gig in size, Apparently version 1 of the manual.

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
Wow! Lucky man. I always wanted to visit the MB museum. I have seen images online and it is as beautiful a building as their cars.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts