Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL320 Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,...just bought this lovely SL320..only 61,000 miles...drove it home from Detriot to Washington DC without a hitch...its been about a week, just got the title..tagged it..and ready to go...but then...cranks but no start...ive been searching all over the net...every fuse appears to be good, Ive "jiggled" them all, actually removed, spun 180 deg. and reinstalled. Still no start...Ive disconnected the battery for 10 mins..still the same. A couple times it sounded like it was going to start but when releasing the key nothing. Seems like no fuel... I dont really smell anything...

Any ideas? Other than that I did replace the "body" of the key with a new aftermarket...putting the transmitter and switching the metal part of the key...The leftover original parts was only a plastic shell. I plan on buying a new key since its only one that I have anyway... I dont think the problem is the key though...

Also when attempting to start twice the alarm went off...had to turn the alarm off by unlocking the drivers door....is that a clue? seems odd...

Could it just be a weak battery? It did turn over very strong...but after maybe 20 attempts to start its sounding weak now.

Ive also tried the steering wheel moving trick...didnt do anything.....

Any ideas? I saw the fuel pump relay (green in the trunk with fuse) Fuse was good there also...should I check for voltage with key on? Im at a loss here..hoping im overshooting this and its something simple...thanks a lot
Michael

·
Registered
1991 500SL V8 NEOKEN modified T/B. 2000 F350 4x4 V10. 1995 SL500
201 Posts
Since you distrubed the ignition switch you may have messed the contacts up in the switch module. I had a issue with my car turning over but not firing up and this was the problem. Also check to make sure the plug to the switch is all the way in.

·
Registered
1997 SL320 Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure what you mean? I just got the car...I havent disturbed anything I dont think...if Im missing something please fill me in......sounds like a good suggestion about the plug..for the ignition right? Ill check that if I can

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
Does the later models have a chip in the key? if so this could be your problem if you have tampered with the key. My wifes Jag lost it's memory just because the key battery went flat. It had to be reprogrammed. There is an ignition procedure for the Jag I googled on the web or I could have paid the agent $160 for the privelage. The alarm malfunction could be the clue it maybe doesn't recognize the key.

·
Registered
1997 SL320 Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the idea...but i dont think it does have a transponder...im buying a regular...non remote key today from the dealer...only $30...not bad! Anybody know how to test the Crankshaft position sensor? seems to be common

·
Registered
1991 500SL V8 NEOKEN modified T/B. 2000 F350 4x4 V10. 1995 SL500
201 Posts
Any ideas? Other than that I did replace the "body" of the key with a new aftermarket...putting the transmitter and switching the metal part of the key...The leftover original parts was only a plastic shell. I plan on buying a new key since its only one that I have anyway... I dont think the problem is the key though...

This is why I come to think you messed with the switch. But I thought you meant the switch in the car.

·
Registered
1997 SL320 Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahhh

ok I got it..makes sense...no I just swapped the remote key case...so far still no startie

MM

·
Registered
1997 SL320 Sport
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fixed

My problem was the Key, a new $30 key (remoteless) fixed it
thanks to evrybody for wieghing in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts