Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
clk350
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
For no apparent reason, the plastic burl insert in the drivers door decided to curl like a banana! I imagine trying to remove it and flattening it with heat will be but a waste of time.

Any quick source for replacements, and any words of warning on removing the driver door panel?

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
The replacements are expensive. I would take it off and apply some "crazy" glue and place it back on.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, and four R129s
4,454 Posts
There are two assemblies on eBay right now. I got one from eBay for $70 a couple of years back.

The assembly is easy to remove. You first remove the wood trim piece that is above it by pulling on its lower edge (picture). This reveals a screw. Remove the screw and the frame piece which secures the top of the assembly. Now you remove the assembly by pushing it toward the rear and then away from the door (picture).

Attachments

·
Registered
clk350
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks gang, sounds like I need to remove the whole switch assembly per the instructions? Can't buy just the burl covers and change them? The switch itself works fine, just has this crazy warped plastic airfoil that trys to scratch my elbow while I'm driving.[^]

·
Outstanding Contributor
2003 SL500, 2003 SL55, and four R129s
4,454 Posts
When you have the assembly off of the door, you remove several small screws and the wood piece is seperated. The dealer and other part suppliers sell the wood piece seperate from the switch module.

·
Registered
clk350
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, decided to try the glue approach and its all clamped up now drying. Not sure that the plastic has not become too brittle to be held back, but we shall see!

Bob, Great instructions! One addidtion, at least for the '95. After removing the cover plate, detaching the screw, and removing the frame keeper, there is a trick to getting the bottom off. You do need to push it back as the illustration shows, then pretend the left hand side is a hinged door, and lift the right side out in an arch. It's simple that way and walks right out. Try to leverage or move it any other way, it gets stuck and you want to go looking for another screw.

Will let you know how the glue works out.

·
Registered
1995 SL500
21 Posts
WTB burled wood 95 SL500 passenger power seat switch

I am looking for a replacement trim piece for my 95 SL500. Its the burled wood trim piece that covers the passenger side power seat switches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
98 SL500
516 Posts
RE: WTB burled wood 95 SL500 passenger power seat switch

www.performanceautoparts.com

Get ready to shell out 400+. If you find them cheaper let me know. I would like to install these in my car.

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts

Steve1g - 2/11/2006 1:52 AM

I am looking for a replacement trim piece for my 95 SL500. Its the burled wood trim piece that covers the passenger side power seat switches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Steve - I'm pretty sure I've seen some at the German eBay, not right now, just had a quick look at all the pic ads, but try later. If language is a problem try Google's language tools for translation. And don't buy the facelift starting from -96 covers, they won't fit.

http://www.ebay.de/

It would be great if you could update your profile with your model and year SL, sometimes very useful to know when we are discussing here. Thanks and good luck!

·
Premium Member
Black SL 500 1994
1,026 Posts

snowbilt - 2/11/2006 7:02 AM

www.performanceautoparts.com

Get ready to shell out 400+. If you find them cheaper let me know. I would like to install these in my car.
Snowbilt - don't you have these? I thought they were standard equipment on all models? Or is yours just broken?

·
Registered
1990 500SL
71 Posts

Try these www.mercedesperformance.co.uk they seem to have a good selection of interior trim

·
Registered
98 SL500
516 Posts

Finn-I don't think they are standard on the 500 maybe a option. On the 600 I believe they are standard. Mine are the same color as the door panel.

·
Registered
1995 SL500
21 Posts

Gfern, thanks for the tip, your website did have them, $263 + shipping, yikes, the part is only like 4 inches square . I might just try and fix mine first. thanks for all the tips they are paying off..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seat switch wood trim for 1991 500 SL

My seat switch wood trim on driver side was delaminated and cracked. I was told it would cost more than $300 if I purchase from MB dealer. Does anyone have a spare to sell or know someone who may carry this wood trim for reasonable price?

Thanks,

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts