Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl 1991
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can now repair these roof modules r129 if anyone has a problem with the roof , its usualy the module thats at fault

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl 1991
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lynns said:
Please give us more information. This sounds like something that would be very helpful.
i will need your old module [ not exchange] £475 + postage and it will be as good as new live in the UK one week turn around [then postal time] hope this answers all regards

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl 1991
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
schabey said:
I have a problem with a 98 soft top control module that apparently needs replacing. How can you fix it?

i will need your old module [ not exchange] £475 + postage and it will be as good as new live in the UK one week turn around [then postal time] hope this answers all regards

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
marksmerc said:
i will need your old module [not exchange] £475 + postage and it will be as good as new live in the UK one week turn around [then postal time] hope this answers all regards
Mark, We may be getting closer. Please be understanding when I ask what you will be doing for $950.00 plus ship to the US. You have only posted ten times to this Forum so in my book we really don't know anything about you. You need to tell us more in order to build a comfort level.

1) What is your background?
2) How many of these have you repaired?
3) Why does it cost $950 to repair one soft top module?
4) What is the warranty that you offer?
5) Etc.

FWIW, we have a contact on the Forum who has been able to repair the seals within a $160.00 hydraulic cylinder for $30 each. With a 24 hour turn around. And he has received great review from those who have contracted with him. In other words he has proven himself.

What can you give us that would comfort us enough to give you our module and $950.00?

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,236 Posts
$950 is entirely too much money. You can buy these modules used for between $300 and $800.

I talked with a friend, and we think that when one of these modules goes bad the repair is simple. The problem would typically be a discrete component gone bad in an input or output circuit -- a transistor or a diode -- or the power supply is bad.

·
Registered
11 sl65
25 Posts
Bob, I always feel better when you are involved! Can you move to MN? Just kidding! My husband removed the soft top module and opened it. Inside were two circuit boards. Assuming one controls the roll bar and the other board must control windows and top. How do you find the electrical diagram for these and where do you get the part to repair it? Can you get diode or chip somewhere?
Since a laptop is cheaper can we just wire one in?????

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl 1991
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont need to prove my self to anyone ! i have done over 15 modules in the uk all with 100% results i only posted this to help fellow owners in the uk ,if you can pick up good used modules in the us for $300/$800 and with two $ to the £ it seems pointless having the old one repaired , [the parts and software/hardware to re code is expensive] , you cant just open up and soilder a new off the shelf cheap diode !!! as its the chips getting corrupt ,due to age and spiking that causes this problem i will buy as many old modules as i can get ,so i can then offer on exchange basis for uk owners ,as belive me over here you simpley cant find them second hand , my original posts were for the same problem ie roof/window fault thats how i became interested in repairing them them that and £1000 from merc !!, i can only repair the 129 modules any year ,i love the car ,this module is the main weak spot , and belive me living over here you will operate the roof up and down more times than a fiddlers elbow in one day and doing it manually is not an option ,and it some how makes you feel embarresed doing it !!! regards mark

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl 1991
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ps if you can send me a faulty one over i will repair it send it back to you , then when you are happy i trust you to pay me after !! will this help you in trusting me , kind regards mark

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
I replaced my controller a few months ago with a used one from an independent shop near me, at first they wanted about $700 or so but when I told them I found a rebuilt one online for $450-500 they quickly matched the $450 price, with a one year warranty. I forget which site it was, maybe GermanStar
http://www.germanstar.net/129el.htm but now I see ther prices are up to $700, but it seems their prices are fluid, meaning that with spring/summer here they may feel there will be a demand for them. I think I'll call them about rebuilding mine so I have a working spare.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
marksmerc said:
as its the chips getting corrupt ,due to age and spiking that causes this problem i will buy as many old modules as i can get ,so i can then offer on exchange basis for uk owners ,as belive me over here you simpley cant find them second hand , my original posts were for the same problem ie roof/window fault thats how i became interested in repairing them them that and £1000 from merc !!, i can only repair the 129 modules any year ,i love the car ,this module is the main weak spo , regards mark
Please take a look at p/n A1298203926 for £1,160.90 at Mercedes Benz Parts UK as well as the prior post that points to German Star in the US for $995.00 is a rebuilt price. As www.parts.com has them for $1583.25 NEW!

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,236 Posts
marksmerc said:
the parts and software/hardware to re code is expensive
So basically your telling us that you substitute a new microprocessor that runs a program that you loaded yourself? Really? But even if this is the truth, you don't need to charge anything close to $950 to cover your cost. Further, if it is true, how about sharing the code with the members of this forum?

marksmerc said:
you cant just open up and soilder a new off the shelf cheap diode !!!
Oh but it can be that simple, and your credibility takes a big hit when you write otherwise.

This and other forums are about the exchange of ideas and knowledge for free. You came to this forum a few months ago, and information was given to you at no charge. Now you represent yourself as having something that may be of value to others and you want to charge for it. Make that "charge a premium" for it. I think that is wrong.

schabey said:
How do you find the electrical diagram for these and where do you get the part to repair it?
I wouldn't know where to get a diagram. The repair parts are readily available at Radio Shack or from suppliers who sell on the Internet.

In the next few days I plan to open a control module and have a look at what I find inside. Maybe it is more complicated than my friend Bill imagines it to be.

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl 1991
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have looked into this its $715 then postage then import duty then tax[customs] insurance ,to us in the uk its no cheaper than i can offer to uk owners , its best all round that i offer this service to UK owners only .as its gonna cause too much hassle to me to bring in and out from the states and i was only offering a helping hand to fellow owners i have a full list off the fault codes for the roof module , so if i can be of any help just ask , sometimes the module can recover, its like your pc crashing!!! sometimes it will re set its self the 129820097 module is the most unreliable[oldest] any new chips fitted need the correct program installing in them , so the chap who has a friend who says its only a cheap part to fix [wrong anyway]!!! a human brain or heart only needs a cheap part to fix !its the clever guy who is fitting that you pay for these are expensive cars new and are now ,old and still expensive cars to fix !!!

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl 1991
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
with the vat its over £900 thats still double the price they can be repaired for regards mark

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl 1991
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont know why you are being so aggresive towards me !!i have tried to tell people that the moduls can be repaired for half the price of a new one ! is that wrong ? we do not have as many parts cars to rob off as you do in the states , if you can do the repairs any cheaper thats fantastic ,we will buy them from you in future ! as to credibility being mentioned ?? is that an american thing , not when ive been over its not ?? why even bring it up ?? you have realy annoyed me !! iam a genuine owner who is trying to run my dream car on a limited budget,and help out other owners !!with a roof problem , you may have posted more on the site than me thats true , does that mean you are a better person than me !!or more trust worthy , you should never ever cast judgement on a person in this way !! and as to charge a premium ?? you do not know the cost of the parts or the re program fee which i never said i did my self , i will gladley give back free information as you said i took, its not information that i am offering and i agree charging a premium is wrong !!! but we all bought mercedes ??i can send you a diagram for the module if you like FREE and yes you can get a few off the parts from radio shack , but having the parts wont help , regards

·
Registered
mercedes 500sl 1991
37 Posts
ou need to reset the controllers. You can do it yourself with a home made electrical switch "tool", or have the shop do it for you.

Mercedes Soft Top Controller Reset Procedure. R129 1990 thru 1995.

Locate the diagnostic connector: Under the plastic cover near the hood-up switch on
the passenger side of vehicle near the strut mount.

To recover codes for the soft top controller:

Connect a normally open (N.O. S.P.) switch between pin 1 and pin 10. A simple push button switch with leads or a short jumper lead will also work OK.

Short (close switch) 2 to 4 seconds to read error codes.
The lamp in the red top switch ( in the console ) will flash out a number of pulses.
Count the pulses and refer to the error list below.

To clear / erase a code: Short (close switch) for 6 to 8 seconds.

There may be multiple codes stored.

Some codes may require reading / erasing twice before they will clear.

·
Outstanding Contributor
4,236 Posts
marksmerc said:
i can send you a diagram for the module if you like FREE
This would be a big step. How about scanning it and then emailing it to me or posting it on this thread. Couple your knowledge with Bill's expertise and these modules can probably be repaired for under $200.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts