Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Copper scourer in the top hose was an unconventional idea, but it appears to have helped thank goodness (y)
Actually, it was perfect. The pad needed to be scrunched up to stuff into the hose, but water flowed freely and the mesh was fine enough to catch the debris. I suspect there might be a little something left in the system, but what came out was significant and surely caused the overheating and the erratic sensor movement. A lot of junk moving through, but with pressure from the heat and pump, i am sure material passed through, the temp dropped, but then went right back up when clogged up again. Very frustrating to say the least, but finally over! Thanks very much for all of the expertise and insight and also staying with the issue throughout.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,674 Posts
To me is like yesterday, for others.....

Long time ago the radiators had copper, soldered tanks.
If it was clogged they would acid bath, rod /clean.
Hole in center.
No problem, solder it.
Would last forever. :)

Now days, plastic, aluminum. :(
That is why I said use the hose and rag trick,
So you can control, check volume...
But ,
you got me on the copper scouring filter pad. Loool.

Thithasko ae thithaskomenos.
I preach, I learn.
Not exact, but you get the idea.

I'm glad it worked. :)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
To me is like yesterday, for others.....

Long time ago the radiators had copper, soldered tanks.
If it was clogged they would acid bath, rod /clean.
Hole in center.
No problem, solder it.
Would last forever. :)

Now days, plastic, aluminum. :(
That is why I said use the hose and rag trick,
So you can control, check volume...
But ,
you got me on the copper scouring filter pad. Loool.

Thithasko ae thithaskomenos.
I preach, I learn.
Not exact, but you get the idea.

I'm glad it worked. :)

Regards,
aam.
Thanks! I am too. What a pain to get there, but its over now. After doing the copper mesh filter, I went online to see if there are any available filters for radiators, and I find out there is, $70-90. I like my $1 DYI.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430, 2011 E350
4,984 Posts
I do have ramps, for years, I haven't used.
Most of the time have to remove the wheels.
I have replaced, steering gear box, struts, ball joints, engine mounts, brakes, etc. Etc.
In some cases, had to remove the exhaust.
For me J stands are much, much easier.
For other jobs, James uses a pit, Rob ramps.
It all depends on the job, and preference.
Many ways to skin a cat.

Regards,
aam.

PS.

But,
I would love to have a lift. ;)
Both ramps and jackstands come in all levels of quality. I never could understand why people buy cheap jackstands.

you’re laying under a 4000 pound car with only the jackstands to protect you from eternity.

I used to work as a programmer for this company that made alert systems for fire departments and I heard a somewhat funny story from a retired fireman on a call they had.
And yes it involved a death but how the poor victim got there it was kind of funny. And it involved cheap jackstands.

i’ve had this set of rhino ramps for years and I’ve always had a hell of a time keeping them from sliding on the garage floor as I’m trying to run the car up.

it’s gotten so bad lately that I will use the floor jacked to jack it up at the front lift point and then put the ramp under the wheel.

there’s all kinds of horror stories about people working under their cars and the jackstands collapsed either because they put them in the wrong place or they were simply cheap construction.

The easiest way is to lift the from the differential in the rear and the front crossmember at the front but since the car is so low it’s hard to get the right point in the crossmember

each has their place particularly the ramps if you can keep them from sliding around :)

·
Outstanding Contributor
R129 500 SL 1991
2,034 Posts
The ramps in Post #87 wont slide around but they weigh around 75 lbs ea so moving them around isn’t easy. Since I posted the link they appear to be back in stock.

Cheap ramps like #1 below with the legs that bear on long side angle rails to spread the load on the floor, these slide on concrete and tarmac, stay away from these.

Ramp type #2 don’t have these rails, where there’s just 4 contact points and a tie bar that’s raised off the ground, they don’t usually slide (my old ones never slid). Only issue with these is that they are only suitable for concrete surface, not tarmac (feet would dig in).

Azure Rectangle Slope Plot Font

101 - 106 of 106 Posts