Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,
I've always aspired to Merc SL ownership and have finally made it, thanks in no small part to you guys (and gals) out there. I have been signing on as a guest for a few months, gaining snippets of information about what to go for and what to avoid, and for better or worse am now the very proud owner of a 1997 SL500 in Silver / Black Leather with Pano roof. It's just nicely run -in at 105,000 miles, has refurbed wheels, 2 new tyres, expensive sat - nav, and an MBZ registration plate and 12 months warranty, all for under £9K. So far so good, everything seems to work, so I'm chuffed as a butty. (Translation for friends across the pond - I'm very pleased) No doubt I will have questions in the near future, but for now thanks for the advice and guidance - much appreciated. Having knowledgeable people willing to share their experiences, greatly reduces the worries of buying such a complex car. :thumbsup: Steve

· Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
9,656 Posts
Hello Steve and welcome..... so you'll be up for the next UK meet then :rolleyes:

· Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,821 Posts
Welcome Steve, I'm sure that you will find out that hanging out here is a priceless experiance!!!!!!! We all help each other out and hopefully save each other some cash!!!!!! Enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,553 Posts
Hello Steve and welcome..... so you'll be up for the next UK meet then :rolleyes:
I don't know why but that line reminds me of someone. I just can't recall who ;).
Hi Steve6 and welcome in our big friendly and international family:). I too hope to see you in the next UK meeting :).

Enjoy your car :D.

Cheers.

· Registered
W905 Sprinter-R-129 SA-W220-W221-W126- W201s-2.3-16v
2,520 Posts
Welcome Steve , in the worse case of your NEW SL then simply just call the Sultan of Brunei..and do not forget have your own battery with ya ......Enjoy new ride...

· Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh no another one from the UK, I can't understand your accents. hahaha

Just kidding, welcome!

Hi cec96sl500 I'll type slower next time. ;) Who was it who said we were 2 nations divided by a common language? For example - I open the bonnet not hood to look at the engine, I put luggage in the boot not the trunk, I occasionally might scrape a bumper or a wing, and my exhaust passes through a silencer not a muffler. And long may it continue. I first visited the States in the early '70s and it was very different from home, cars were 'Yank Tanks' and some still had fins, I'd never even seen a Harley, a Peterbilt or a McDonalds. Gradually the world has been somewhat homogenised and car models are a lot more global. Which I guess is why this site works so well over the miles. I still enjoy my occasional trips to the US though.

Many thanks for the welcome from you and the other members who have replied to my first post. Steve

· Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,655 Posts
I never get that right, was it Shaw, Churchill or Wilde? Hmmm.

That is fun stuff, I always put my boot on my foot and a bonnet on my head ... well, not exactly my head but you get the idea. HAHA Yank Tanks, I love that, those look really dangerous with the fins, I could hurt myself on one in a parking lot.

By the way I did understand your slower typing, thanks.

· Registered
'99-SL500/'96-C280/'89-300TE/'01-3.0Ci/'05-X5 4.4i silver/black/'05 X5 4.4i black/black
144 Posts
Hi Steve, nice to have one more SL enthusiast - welcome on board ! :beerchugr:

· Registered
91' 300SL; 99' SLK 230/Comp; 87' 190E 2.6/5 SM
52 Posts
Steve,

Welcome to R129 Family.. I myself bought a 91' 300SL w/69K miles on the odometer in February 2009.. KEEP YOURSELF DRY THERE IN UK.. I LIVED THERE FROM 1995-1997.. IT WAS COLD..

· Registered
91' 300SL; 99' SLK 230/Comp; 87' 190E 2.6/5 SM
52 Posts
LordBenz,

I browse through the Internet for while I was still in Afghanistan.. I knew I wanted to buy one so I started early.. As soon as I get deployed back in US, I continued and waited for something close.. I found it listed by Private Seller in San Diego.. I sent him email, we set up a time the next day, drove down, test drove it for 10 minutes and we made the deal.. He listed it for $9,900.00 and we agreed on $8,500.00. We agreed in less than 5 minutes.. :rolleyes:

There was little rattling sound and the tires is about 30% left, couple of dings on the paint, but it's nothing I can't fix on weekends.. most of all I like it.. He was happy with my offer, we were both happy.. :thumbsup:

I asked him why he was selling it.. "The new wife just had a baby and the car is a Babe magnet.. she wants it gone yesterday".. and he just wanted to make the new wife happy.. :thumbsup:There was a new 4 door, E320 in the garage..

They have deals out there, you need to have patience.. :bowdown::bowdown:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.