Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
This guy is now in jail 11/08 for not delivering a Pano Top to one of forum members.

Did the R129s ever have a factory navigation system? I use AVIC series systems in my other cars, so it is no big deal if they didn't, but I would prefer to have an OEM navigation system if one ever existed.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
9,414 Posts
AVIAN NAV is foolproof.
Nail a pigeon to the dashboard and just note which way it is looking and steer in that direction

·
Registered
SL500 (R129), 500 SEC (W126)
307 Posts
Yes it was! Navigation was available from about 1996.

The first "navi" was made by Blaupunkt and called APS4; the second navi, available from about 1999, was made by Becker and called Audio 30 APS.

Both systems work on a standard DIN-sized headunit. Both use an antenna mounted on the boot (trunk) lid. The Blaupunkt system has a computer in the recess on the left-hand side of the boot (trunk), where as the Becker has a DVD disc in the head unit itself. The Becker system is very good and still current-ish. I think the Becker system is available from the dealer (no doubt for millions of dollars); both come up on Ebay regularly, especially in Germany.

There are instructions in WIS for retrofitting the Becker APS 30 system.

Personally I find a road atlas much more useful (I do not say that flippantly: satnav has two distinct disadvantages, (1) drivers reliant on sat nav cease looking at road signs, and (2) a road atlas puts the route in context often suggesting alternative routes and places of interest off the main route). I team a Michelin road atlas with the Michelin Guide Rouge to great effect.

Here is a picture of the APS4 head unit sitting atop the computer (which goes in the boot) and a CD-changer:

And here is the Audio 30 APS headunit:

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,546 Posts
Hi People I believe R129 did have a navigation system even if it was the one DIN type like having small pictures like in the first Blaupunkt Navigation systems and it was from becker if I'm not wrong.
Unfortunately I couldn't find a picture tho.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6 (SOLD) 2012 E 350CDI Cabrio 265 PS
4,546 Posts
Navi forever here.... I have a Mitac Mio Pocket PC 168 that I plug in the aux in of my Kenwood unit and while I navigate I also listento MP3 from the Pocket PC itself directly from the speakers..

Nice uh ?

Cheers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.