Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Black on black
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I hope you all are safe and healthy during this crazy time we’re living in.

For some reason I’m having difficult finding somewhere to purchase lowering springs for my R129. Can anyone link me to lowering springs? Preferably 2” or more drop. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,973 Posts
Hey everyone,

I hope you all are safe and healthy during this crazy time we’re living in.

For some reason I’m having difficult finding somewhere to purchase lowering springs for my R129. Can anyone link me to lowering springs? Preferably 2” or more drop. Thanks in advance!
Here are two popular manufactures that make lowering springs many Mercedes owners have installed

And here is the link to a Lowering Sticky in this forum, at this point in time, everything has already been done and well documented, happy reading...

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,973 Posts
Agree 100% with @FATHERTIME, here's my car on H&Rs:
Hey "slownrusty", excellent stance on your SL, great job.

If you get some time, could you post a parts list of everything you purchased to get these results.

I have halfheartedly considered this myself for my black 2000 Sport, I'd appreciate not having to experiment, and seeing as you have already been so successful with yours, a complete parts list could motivate me and others to do the same.

Thanks again... Aero_I

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,939 Posts
@Aero1:
1) H&R Springs
2) Bilstein B6 shocks if you can source them, if not use the B4
3) @FATHERTIME provided the spring pads needed (read above)

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,973 Posts
@Aero1:
1) H&R Springs
2) Bilstein B6 shocks if you can source them, if not use the B4
3) @FATHERTIME provided the spring pads needed (read above)
On the H&R site they show 4 spring categories, but I'm guessing yours are either the "Sport" or "Super Sport".
Do you remember or have an invoice that can identify which ones you installed?

Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
M113 SL500
498 Posts
You know, there's an application function on the H&R website. There is no Supersport spring for the R129.

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you!

I am looking for more than a 2” drop. And want to make sure that any R129 spring fits all years since these say “90-96”. Mines a ‘98

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
1,008 Posts
I know it says 90-96 and when I questioned them about that I was told that they fit the 129 chassis so I bought them for my 98 as I already had them on my 94 they have been in the car along with Bilstein B6 shocks for 4.5 years and work fine. The other option you have if you want it lower is to just cut the springs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Upon doing research, I do want to lower it quite low.
Would you recommend HR Springs and change out the front shims to #1 and rear to #2?

where can I purchase shims? Are the front and rear different?

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,939 Posts
Are there any other Mercedes springs that are the same as the R129
No

Upon doing research, I do want to lower it quite low.
Would you recommend HR Springs and change out the front shims to #1 and rear to #2?

where can I purchase shims? Are the front and rear different?
Front and Rear shims are different.
You can buy them from www.mboemparts.com
They offer free shipping to Benzworld members, type "BENZWORLD2017" at checkout

Part numbers for the largest suspension drop:
Front: 2013210984 ( 8 MM) - No. 1 Pad

Rear: 2013250944 ( 8 MM) - No. 1 Pad

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,973 Posts
Also, I scored these for $400 today! View attachment 2625760
These wheels are not a score for you, the guy who sold them scored because he found someone to buy them.!

Yes these are AMG wheels, and yes the would look great on your car, but to give you a hint where I'm going with this, you asked this in a post above, "Are there any other Mercedes springs that are the same as the R129 ".

So, your asking about compatibility of springs, model to model, that is a great question! That would be a tough one to answer, a speculation would be another V8 model, and the only 90's model I can think of that has many similar components is the E class E500E's that were made from 92-93 for the USA market. The E500E's had the SL motor and shared many parts, including all of the wheels. But don't go down that rabbit hole, no one else has.

When first thinking about lowering springs years ago, I had done all the research, and I recall that H&R offered 2 different part numbers, depending if you had a V8 or a 6. That is what I was looking for recently, and the offerings are sparse now for these older cars. I know a couple of members here say are using what H&R had available, (6 cyl springs), and seem to be happy, but I would not do that.

Why don't you pick up the phone and call both H&R and Eibach, tell them what car you have and what you want. Let them tell you if they have a product for you or not. Don't depend on what their web sites say, call them.

OK, back to the wheels, and the fact you asked about compatibility of springs. With wheels, asking about compatibility between models is extremely important. Because if my guess is correct, the wheels you bought are not SL compatible wheels. They appear to be S Class wheels, which are machined to fit a design not similar to the 129's.

Not going to into the complete fitment of wheels here, but simply one of the wheel measurements is almost always forgotten about, it's called OFFSET or ET for short. Proper ET places the wheel in the center of the wheel well, for ride geometry and so the tires don't rub anything. ET is measured in "mm", and each model type has a range of ET's that are compatible.

ET's with high numerical numbers bring the wheel closer to the inside of the wheel wells, ET's with lower numerical numbers push the wheel out towards the outer fender. So, S class wheels have higher ET's, upper 40's into 50's. R129 wheels are at the opposite end of the spectrum, Using ET's as low as the teens, and typically in the mid 20's to mid 30's. The highest ET to fit an SL is the stock 8 hole wheels, with 34mm. You should not mount wheels in the upper 40's on a 129.

This exact scenario has happened so many times, new owner wants lower car, and nice AMG wheels. The cheapest AMG wheels are old S class wheels, because there is no market for them. You are planning a situation for tire rubbing that will drive you nuts, after you've spent all this time and money to get a stance you like.

The wheels you should be looking at should be machined for M12 lug bolts with ET's no larger than 35mm ish. Look here for wheels that a built to fit 129's

Look on the back of the wheels you bought, there should be sizes and part numbers cast into the back side. Sizes should look like this, 8.5J x 18H2 ET44, or 9.5J x 18H2 ET44, and the part numbers normally start with the 1st 3 numbers being the model type they fit. If the number start out with 129 or 210, they are 129 wheels, if they start with 140 or 220 you have S Class wheels, but the ET will tell you exactly what you have as well.

What you need to have is 8J x 18H2 ET35 and 9J x 18H2 ET30, which are E55 wheels from a W210, also sold as options on 129's, (AMG II wheels.)

There is another wheel for 129's that look similar to the wheels you bought, but they are 2 piece wheels, option on SL600's for a couple of years, and are almost impossible to find, and if you do they will sell for $3K to $4K.

There is a market for nice AMG wheels for 129's, that's why they typically sell in the $1K and up range, you only find the S class look a likes for under $1K, and that appears to be what you bought.

If this is true, and you insist on using them, you will need custom lug bolts. Since these wheels are machined for a 14M lug bolt application, the ball seats on these wheels are R14, where the lug bolts on all 129's are M12 and R12.

So you will need a lug bolt with a M12 diameter, (what 129 wheels hubs are machined for), but with a R14 ball seat to fit the S Class wheel, they make them. Otis lug bolts in LA, I have 2 sets of these mounting R230 wheels on my 2 R129's.

Also since the ET is wrong, you will need spacers, at least 15mm, maybe 20mm, depending upon front and rear fitments. All this is a pain in the ass to do, or just buy wheels that are compatible and you avoid lug bolt and spacer problems all together.

Just for background, I own every type of wheel set that will fit a 129 without spacers, I have an extreme interest in wheels and understand proper fitment completely. If you want to find a good looking AMG period correct wheel for an SL, the cheapest ones are the AMG II's, also called E55 wheels.

E55 wheels are here; This the only set I see on eBay right now, because there is a market for them, but there are many sets of the S Class wheels like you bought. I would not buy the ones in this link, I hate chrome and a wheel is bent, but these are 129 wheels and look great when painted up nicely.

Or this next set, and do not believe the statement that they fit 140 and 129, they are just selling wheels, but these ARE 129 wheels, and be cautious, because this exact wheel is also made for 140's as well, in a different size.

The next set is the ONLY version of the type you bought that are meant for a 129, these are the 2 piece version and the price here is very tempting, one of the rarest wheels to find. One piece wide 5 spoke wheels were only made for 140s and 220s.

Post back the numbers you find on the back of the wheels, I'd bet they are S Class wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
These wheels are not a score for you, the guy who sold them scored because he found someone to buy them.!

Yes these are AMG wheels, and yes the would look great on your car, but to give you a hint where I'm going with this, you asked this in a post above, "Are there any other Mercedes springs that are the same as the R129 ".

So, your asking about compatibility of springs, model to model, that is a great question! That would be a tough one to answer, a speculation would be another V8 model, and the only 90's model I can think of that has many similar components is the E class E500E's that were made from 92-93 for the USA market. The E500E's had the SL motor and shared many parts, including all of the wheels. But don't go down that rabbit hole, no one else has.

When first thinking about lowering springs years ago, I had done all the research, and I recall that H&R offered 2 different part numbers, depending if you had a V8 or a 6. That is what I was looking for recently, and the offerings are sparse now for these older cars. I know a couple of members here say are using what H&R had available, (6 cyl springs), and seem to be happy, but I would not do that.

Why don't you pick up the phone and call both H&R and Eibach, tell them what car you have and what you want. Let them tell you if they have a product for you or not. Don't depend on what their web sites say, call them.

OK, back to the wheels, and the fact you asked about compatibility of springs. With wheels, asking about compatibility between models is extremely important. Because if my guess is correct, the wheels you bought are not SL compatible wheels. They appear to be S Class wheels, which are machined to fit a design not similar to the 129's.

Not going to into the complete fitment of wheels here, but simply one of the wheel measurements is almost always forgotten about, it's called OFFSET or ET for short. Proper ET places the wheel in the center of the wheel well, for ride geometry and so the tires don't rub anything. ET is measured in "mm", and each model type has a range of ET's that are compatible.

ET's with high numerical numbers bring the wheel closer to the inside of the wheel wells, ET's with lower numerical numbers push the wheel out towards the outer fender. So, S class wheels have higher ET's, upper 40's into 50's. R129 wheels are at the opposite end of the spectrum, Using ET's as low as the teens, and typically in the mid 20's to mid 30's. The highest ET to fit an SL is the stock 8 hole wheels, with 34mm. You should not mount wheels in the upper 40's on a 129.

This exact scenario has happened so many times, new owner wants lower car, and nice AMG wheels. The cheapest AMG wheels are old S class wheels, because there is no market for them. You are planning a situation for tire rubbing that will drive you nuts, after you've spent all this time and money to get a stance you like.

The wheels you should be looking at should be machined for M12 lug bolts with ET's no larger than 35mm ish. Look here for wheels that a built to fit 129's

Look on the back of the wheels you bought, there should be sizes and part numbers cast into the back side. Sizes should look like this, 8.5J x 18H2 ET44, or 9.5J x 18H2 ET44, and the part numbers normally start with the 1st 3 numbers being the model type they fit. If the number start out with 129 or 210, they are 129 wheels, if they start with 140 or 220 you have S Class wheels, but the ET will tell you exactly what you have as well.

What you need to have is 8J x 18H2 ET35 and 9J x 18H2 ET30, which are E55 wheels from a W210, also sold as options on 129's, (AMG II wheels.)

There is another wheel for 129's that look similar to the wheels you bought, but they are 2 piece wheels, option on SL600's for a couple of years, and are almost impossible to find, and if you do they will sell for $3K to $4K.

There is a market for nice AMG wheels for 129's, that's why they typically sell in the $1K and up range, you only find the S class look a likes for under $1K, and that appears to be what you bought.

If this is true, and you insist on using them, you will need custom lug bolts. Since these wheels are machined for a 14M lug bolt application, the ball seats on these wheels are R14, where the lug bolts on all 129's are M12 and R12.

So you will need a lug bolt with a M12 diameter, (what 129 wheels hubs are machined for), but with a R14 ball seat to fit the S Class wheel, they make them. Otis lug bolts in LA, I have 2 sets of these mounting R230 wheels on my 2 R129's.

Also since the ET is wrong, you will need spacers, at least 15mm, maybe 20mm, depending upon front and rear fitments. All this is a pain in the ass to do, or just buy wheels that are compatible and you avoid lug bolt and spacer problems all together.

Just for background, I own every type of wheel set that will fit a 129 without spacers, I have an extreme interest in wheels and understand proper fitment completely. If you want to find a good looking AMG period correct wheel for an SL, the cheapest ones are the AMG II's, also called E55 wheels.

E55 wheels are here; This the only set I see on eBay right now, because there is a market for them, but there are many sets of the S Class wheels like you bought. I would not but the ones in this link, I hate chrome and a wheel is bent, but these are 129 wheels and look great when painted up nicely.

Or this next set, and do not believe the statement that they fit 140 and 129, they are just selling wheels, but these ARE 129 wheels, and be cautious, because this exact wheel is also made for 140's as well, in a different size.

The next set is the ONLY version of the type you bought that are meant for a 129, these are the 2 piece version and the price here is very tempting, one of the rarest wheels to find. One piece wide 5 spoke wheels were only made for 140s and 220s.

Post back the numbers you find on the back of the wheels, I'd bet they are S Class wheels.
You know your stuff and thank you very much for your input. I’m new to the Benz world so this is very helpful.

You are absolutely right about the wheels. They are W220 wheels. The fronts are 81/2Jx18H2 ET44 and reads are 91/2Jx18H2 ET46.

I’m slowly learning about wheels sizes for this chassis as I purchased CLA wheels that were 71/2x18 ET52 not knowing wheel size made a difference. I bought spacers to clear the front brakes and the rear I couldn’t apply because the wheel bolts it came with were too long! The wheel is super sunk into the wheel well because of the high offset.

Monoblocks are so hard to come across here in Seattle! So when I saw these I acted quickly. They were actually sitting on an E320 that was a mechanical special. I asked if he’d sell the wheels and he said yes.

I think I understand now that to make these wheels fit correctly, while using spacers for clearance and stance, I’ll need to make sure the wheel bolts are M12 shank and R14 ball seat with a length that will clear the rear parking break. I have 20mm in the front right now and 20mm just sitting in my trunk which I wanted to apply to the rear. Thankfully my R129 is just my sunny day car so it’s sitting in the garage.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,973 Posts
OK, looks like you understand somewhat now, your observations for lug bolts is correct, but to be more specific for "clearing the Rear Parking Break", the length of threads sticking out of the back side of the wheel, (any Mercedes wheel), should be 17mm to 20mm, or about 3/4". At least 17mm to make sure enough threads are engaged for safety, and no more than 20mm to clear the parking brakes. Also with spacers, you of course need to add in the width of the spacers as well.

Here is a link to Otis, unfortunately it appears they are out of stock on the different lengths of 12M R14 bolts, call them to be sure.

See the attachment for a simple drawing of how to measure correctly for bolt length..

Good Luck

PS: just looked at that Otis link again, looks like they have one size left, 55mm length, maybe they can cut them down to the exact size you need, call them and find out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts