Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
291 Posts
OK, the turn around on the new key FOB request was incredible. Basically I walked into the dealership around 11:40 am on 1.16.2020, and walked out of the dealership with a paid receipt around 1:15pm on the 16th.

I expected several days wait time to get the call, surprise, at 10am this morning , (1-17-20), I get the call, "your new key is in, come pick it up"..!

The key center in Texas must have programmed the key almost instantly when they received the order, then overnight-ed it for a next morning delivery.. unreal... Less than 24 hours, (about 22 hours), and key is ready for pickup at the dealership...WTF nothing can be that easy... I should buy a lotto ticket

Anyway, the wife picked up the new key, and tomorrow we'll try it out for the 1st time, without the dealership assistance

Once again, thanks for all the great information that has been posted in this thread... you guys rock...
View attachment 2617306 ...
Just press the unlock button twice, put it in the ignition and turn to #2 position within 30 seconds and you’re good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 SL500
137 Posts
Great to see everyone gettig their hands on some keys, finally!

However, has anyone been able to figure out a way to solve the issue with all 8 keys already being used? There’s a limit of 8 positions in the DAS2 system (at least for my ’98) and once all of those positions are used (and keys subsequently lost...), there seems to be now way to get a new key to start the car.

/Anton

·
Registered
2000 SL500 Magma Red Java 2006 Black SL500
227 Posts
I finally was able to pick up my new fob/key today. $297 with taxes and the key and fob work perfectly.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,936 Posts
Just press the unlock button twice, put it in the ignition and turn to #2 position within 30 seconds and you’re good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@bartsitarski - worked perfectly, no idea it was so easy.. tnx.. 👌

·
Registered
1997 500SL, 1997 SL500 Anniv, 2003 CLK55 (totaled), 2007 SL550, 2007 E63
1 Posts
Per MBZ email - Below are the Model’s and year range for which a limited amount of key parts have become available. Note: Model year 1997 is EXCLUDED.
    • 1996 S & SL Class Vehicles- Part # BQ4760032
    • 1998-1999 S Class and 1998-2002 SL Class Vehicles- Part # BQ4760025

·
Registered
2000 SL500
111 Posts
Hi all,
New to this section of the forum. I just picked up a 2000 SL500 with 67K miles. Sad story, the uncle of one of my son's friends passed away, they offered it to me at a real good price. However, they could only find one key, and it was pretty wobbly and held together with tape.
Seeing this thread last month, I contacted MBUSA and was put on a wait list. After reading the newer posts I contacted them again (less than 5 minute wait) and got a very helpful woman (Deb) who understood the issue, and said she would call the local dealer, and I was to follow up with the parts manager in a few hours. I did so, went down yesterday with all the ID info (reg, license and credit card!), and he took my order. He said he could get 2 keys since my only one was in tough shape, but we'll see. In and out in 15 minutes. He said likely in by Monday. $228 for the key, and he said just insert, give it a few seconds, and I'd be good to go. Oh, he also said 11 keys were left. Yikes!

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
945 Posts
I began trying to order a key yesterday for my 99 SL600😤. It started with some what of a run around between MBUSA and the dealer, First I went to the dealer and ordered a key after all the info was taken the service writer called the parts dept to place the order and was told N/A So I went home and called Customer Care and the lady said the dealers have authorization to order the keys and I just need to go there with the car and ID, I told her I did that so she got them on the phone with me and the dealer told her N/A and he said there are lock smiths around that do it, I told him they can't do this car plus the lady told him that they are available so after a bit of back and forth he took my VIN and said he's sending an email to TX and will call me Monday to tell me what he found out.

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I began trying to order a key yesterday for my 99 SL600😤. It started with some what of a run around between MBUSA and the dealer, First I went to the dealer and ordered a key after all the info was taken the service writer called the parts dept to place the order and was told N/A So I went home and called Customer Care and the lady said the dealers have authorization to order the keys and I just need to go there with the car and ID, I told her I did that so she got them on the phone with me and the dealer told her N/A and he said there are lock smiths around that do it, I told him they can't do this car plus the lady told him that they are available so after a bit of back and forth he took my VIN and said he's sending an email to TX and will call me Monday to tell me what he found out.
Wow! A run around! Dealership name.
That's great service from a MB dealership....not.

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
945 Posts
Well after I have a key in hand I'll post the dealer name haha, But what I find with these 20yr+ cars is no one at the dealer knows much about them, hence the locksmith remark, chances are I'm the first SL600 to ever come to them in the last 15 yrs and I knew going in it would be a hassle. The service writer was in awe of my car and said what a nice specimen and wanted to know where I got it. I could tell when he opened the hood to take pictures he had never seen one. He seemed taken aback when the parts dept. said N/A and asked what I'm supposed to do, thats when he recommended the locksmith. However the wallet keys have been available all along as far as I know as that's all I could get in Nov 2017 I had ordered a remote fob in Feb 17 and after many months all they offered was the wallet key. I was very nervous over this cause when I bought the car it only had one key. I also have a 98 SL500 and was barley able to key a key for it in late 2016

·
Registered
2001 SL500
1 Posts
Well, I contacted customer service last Thursday. They took my info and said someone would call in 24 hours and sent me an email with a case number. No call back by Monday, so I called my dealer in Winston-Salem and forwarded the email I received from customer no-service. He tried to order a key for me and then called back to say there were no more available. It doesn't make sense that they can't produce more, because I know there are plenty more people out there that need one. Anyone know if there is any other way to obtain an extra key? I have a 2001 SL500. Thanks!

61 - 71 of 71 Posts