Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a NEW flip key remote yesterday. From the MB dealership.
Parts department manager called me and of course I went quickly to the dealership.
Apparently 42 of these keys were available in the U.S. a few days ago.
When the parts department ordered my key, 22 were left.

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
286 Posts
I purchased a NEW flip key remote yesterday. From the MB dealership.
Parts department manager called me and of course I went quickly to the dealership.
Apparently 42 of these keys were available in the U.S. a few days ago.
When the parts department ordered my key, 22 were left.
What year is your car and what city are you in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does not matter where the keys were purchased as they are available at all MB dealerships across the U.S. and available for the R129 of any year and the W140.
Need ID and registration to complete the sale and pick up the key(s).
Bought 2 keys; one for the 98 and one for the 2002. Keys were purchased from the dealership in Omaha.

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
286 Posts
Does not matter where the keys were purchased as they are available at all MB dealerships across the U.S. and available for the R129 of any year and the W140.
Need ID and registration to complete the sale and pick up the key(s).
Bought 2 keys; one for the 98 and one for the 2002. Keys were purchased from the dealership in Omaha.
I asked about the year because the 1996+ are different. And city because you didn’t specify that you were in the US and could be talking about a dealer in London.

Either way, thanks for the heads up. Called my dealer and I guess they no longer showed NLA but listed a number to call. He will get back to me tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I was notified that the keys were now available, was also told, any year for the R129 and W140...and at any dealership across the country.
Meaning...USA.
Did not discuss why only 42 key/fob were available.

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,701 Posts
We've been talking about this a lot at the W140 forum.

The issue is that Mercedes lost the vendor for their legacy key business, likely because it wasn't profitable enough and/or the factory was retooling and couldn't accommodate the work any longer. Now they're apparently having a really hard time finding a vendor willing to take on low-margin legacy work.

This kind of thing happens all the time in manufacturing; I worked in production for a major consumer products company and we had vendors drop legacy business all the time. They'd do one final production run just so we'd have some stock, then we'd have to get to work finding another vendor. Problem is, it's usually hard to find a vendor interested in taking on work that another vendor dropped.

In this case, Mercedes has to find a qualified vendor willing to tool up to produce a low-volume, low-margin, obsolete product in order to serve a shrinking number of customers. It's a hard sell. Usually what you have to do in this case is build the legacy business into a larger deal in which the factory gets a more lucrative contract for other components as a tradeoff. Mercedes will probably have to pay for some of the tooling costs out of their own pocket as well. These deals can take months if not years. Basically you need a vendor willing to do you a favor.

If there are suddenly 42 new key fobs available, one of two things happened. Either Mercedes found a new production vendor and this was the first small batch of production examples that passed QC so they were made available for sale. Or, more likely, someone found a box of key fobs from a previous production run that nobody knew was there.

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,157 Posts
They’ve been available for post ‘96 models on Europe for a few months now...

·
Registered
1985 300D, 1991 300SL Manual
44 Posts
MB dealer in Palm Springs says 0 stock, NLA still for my 91 300SL. They weren’t aware any had just been available. Must have all been sold by now, or different part no. Told me to call MB customer number.

·
Registered
2000 SL500 Magma Red Java 2006 Black SL500
226 Posts
I went to my dealer yesterday and they had a listing. The part number started with a Q which they said was strange. However, they ordered the key/fob and now it's just a wait and see.

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,235 Posts
What is : $_.00 US bucks ?

·
Registered
3 Mercedes'; 14 BMW's; 3 Other
86 Posts
Called my dealer on Friday 12/13 about the content of this thread. He suggested I contact MBUSA and initiate a claim. I did that. They forwarded an email to the Parts Manager and my counter guy with some kind of authorization. He was able to order the FOB that day. He called me Monday 12/16 and advised me that the FOB was in. I picked it up on Tuesday (yesterday), it looks great! My cost was $175.00 plus 6% sales tax. This is Idaho after all and because owning 3 Mercedes' has made me an honorary member of the friggin' parts department, I get great deals.

Won't know for a bit if it will start the car ('99 SL600) as I have to put the whole ignition back together and run the codes.I purchased it for $1000 as a theft recovery with 81K miles.

He did tell me there were 18 FOB's left after he ordered mine.

So, I guess there's hope. They aren't going to send any to people who just want a second FOB as there are too many folks with NO keys.

Good luck!

Mike

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Called my dealer on Friday 12/13 about the content of this thread. He suggested I contact MBUSA and initiate a claim. I did that. They forwarded an email to the Parts Manager and my counter guy with some kind of authorization. He was able to order the FOB that day. He called me Monday 12/16 and advised me that the FOB was in. I picked it up on Tuesday (yesterday), it looks great! My cost was $175.00 plus 6% sales tax. This is Idaho after all and because owning 3 Mercedes' has made me an honorary member of the friggin' parts department, I get great deals.

Won't know for a bit if it will start the car ('99 SL600) as I have to put the whole ignition back together and run the codes.I purchased it for $1000 as a theft recovery with 81K miles.

He did tell me there were 18 FOB's left after he ordered mine.

So, I guess there's hope. They aren't going to send any to people who just want a second FOB as there are too many folks with NO keys.

Good luck!

Mike
$175...good price. Usually the parts department charges well over $200...even closer to $300
Went through the same procedure as you...Only..MBUSA customer service rep called me 3 times to verify my order! They kept getting my SL's mixed up...I have 2 and how difficult is it to mix up 2 different VIN's?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a call from Mercedes saying they had a key for my car 2002. They sent an email with groups of numbers , went to the local CT dealer and said they can order it. I should have it within a week. Since Christmas Gift.

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
286 Posts
Just got a call from Mercedes and they emailed me instructions that I need to take to the dealer parts counter and have my key ordered. Since I’m working from home tomorrow, I will drive up there with my documents and the email to order a key. Fingers crossed!!!

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
286 Posts
Just got home from my dealer. New key ordered. Should be here in a week. $352.80 plus tax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
when I bought my 2002 in April I called Mercedes Corp to ask about a key ,at that time they took my info, which is why I go the call last week about the keys & ordered. No call from dealer yet , but if there were less than 50 keys I feel we hit the lottery.

·
Registered
GLE350 / 2017, E350 coupe / 2014, SL500 / 1997
95 Posts
I had ordered a key for my 1997 sl500 early this week. Only to hear today that there are no keys available for the 1997 model, it seems there is a difference between early and late model year 1997 ?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picked up my key today. I ordered 2 and a valet key. Dealership staff said...MBUSA says...only one key per customer. One is better than none.
No programming needed; I just put the key into the ignition and the car started right up.
I see a vast price difference on key costs; some are paying well over $300 for a key and some are under $200!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts