Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 R129 (300SL)
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A newbie here,

just bought my '93 300SL, drove it home after seller and I put the hard top on. (he had it only 2 months, took the hard top off when he got it and has never had it on since.)
we had no problems putting it on, did the rear first per the instructions.
When I try to release, the rear comes up but the front does not.
Window open, have pushed up on the front, not budging.
I've checked the forums and all I can find is refernce to a MB top tool that is needed.
Is that the only option?

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,001 Posts
If the front latched are locked and would not release hydraulically, then the only way to open them mechanically is with the tool which has an Allen wrench at one end. So you can unlatch the front with the right sized Allen wrench (I don't recall off hand what size).

·
Registered
1990 SL500 - Black Pearl
9 Posts
Have you checked your hydraulic fluid? Pump unit is underneath spare tire in trunk bottom. Fluid available from dealer if low. Don't pour anything but the correct fluid into the unit. The top tool will unlatch the front catches, but if it won't spit it off automatically, you've probably got other issues. There are two inconspicuous holes by the visors (one on each side). Stick the appropriate allen wrench in and rotate carefully to unlatch the catch. You need to get/find a top tool if you keep the car.

·
Registered
1993 R129 (300SL)
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice.
Found my hidden tool kit and popped the mechanical releases on the front. that seems to have solved it for now.
Hydraulic leak was 1st thing I checked.
This is an excellent Forum!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts