Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1530 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to connect my door speakers to my reciever, but don't know where or how to get to the wire. there has been a lot of stereo work so who knows where the original wires are. i want to know how to get to the speaker so i can just run a new wire to it from my reciever? help much appreciated =]<br>
<br>
matt

·
Registered
95 Posts
What size are door speakers?

On the door, are the big speakers 5 1/4 and small ones 3 1/2? Can I instally MB Quart 6 1/2 and 1" tweeters in same two spots?

·
Registered
280 Posts
R129 STEREO SYSTEM QUESTIONS

SUP GUYS AND GALS!
I wanna replace my stock radio in my 98 sl500 with a high powered pioneer. The audio place is telling me i need to add an amp. Is this true? If so is it because its a convertible? I have had other convertibles with no amps and could here just fine with a high powered radio.

·
Registered
58 Posts
RE: REPLACING STOCK RADIO IN 98 SL500

You can't replace the stock radio with a regular head unit like Pioneer cuz it has different speaker impedance proprietary of Bose. Each speaker has their own amp. You'll have to replace the speakers, the sub-woofer, the wiring harness and add an amp.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
if 98s have a bose system it already has an amplifier

look in the compartment behind the driver. if you have a bose system be very careful. bose systems only work with bose components, so a pioneer head unit would not work very well w/the bose amplifier. why are you wanting to replace your system?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
pioneer head will not work with bose amp, you have

to replace the headunit, the amplifier and the speakers.

there are some adaptors you can buy to make pioneer work with bose but i doubt if they really work well.

so, just replacing the stock radio with a "high power" pioneer will only result in a "low power" pioneer.

·
Registered
280 Posts

The left channel is goin out. Im thinking its either the radio or the amp and everyone is tellin me i would be better off replacing the radio anyway. I would be using a Pioneer 50w x 4.

·
Registered
280 Posts

But its all the speakers on the left side. Not just one. This is why i think its the radio or amp.

·
Registered
144 Posts

About 9 months ago I replaced my head unit with a Pioneer head unit. I had the same experience that you are having now. I went to a few places and it seemed that half of them told me no problem and the other half told me it couldn't be done without changing out all of the speakers and amplifier.

I called all around the country speaking to distributors and the bose adapter retailers. I got the same responses 50% pro 50% con. I went to my local MB dealer here in Dallas, and they gave me the number of an installer that they used on a regular basis who works at Alta Mere. He told me that it could be done with the Bose adapter, around 100.00 retail from him, and that he had done it many times over the years with no problems.

9 months later everything is working BETTER than it did with the old radio. It sounds at leat 100% better. I get a clearer sound and much more volume.

You do NOT need to change everything no matter what people tell you.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Dallas,
Did you try to figure out if it was the speaker first or just changed the head unit first and that solved everything?

Did you also add a pioneer cd changer?

·
Registered
144 Posts

There was nothing wrong with my old head unit. I wanted one with a "flip out" monitor and a better sound.

There is another adapter for using the after market head unit with the stock CD changer.

I know it is frustrating to get such sure headed advice from both sides of the argument. I went through the same thing. My installer told me that he had heard it all before. He said that he had installed many after market head units in many SLs using the adapter and that he had never had one come back.

I have been extremely pleased. When he demoed the new radio for me after he installed it he almost blew me out of the car. It was actually more volume than I had hoped to get.

·
Registered
280 Posts

This is good to hear.
I have a Pioneer deh-p3500 50wx4 and a 12 disc pioneer changer i am going to use.

I thought about getting the flip out DVD player but i wont drive this car enough to make it worth the $700 bucks! lol I would rather have it in my co car with im in 70% of the time! But then i also have a portable i can just plug in to the cig lighter.

Why did you go with pioneer? how old is your unit?
did you get a good deal? I have seen them on ebay but uneasy about purchasing one there.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I have owned Pioneers before and it seemed to be the best unit for the money. The unit was brand new, it is an AVH P6500 DVD. I guess it's last year's model by now. I got it off of Ebay.

I think I paid 675.00 with shipping and it was 1500.00 at Fry's and Ultimate Electronics.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Check this one out.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KcAGvlBynLt/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&I=130AVHP570

·
Registered
280 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5764440211&fromMakeTrack=true

1 - 20 of 1530 Posts