Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'98 SL500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I posted a question a few weeks about replacing the Pop-up spring/cylinder on the console lid of my '96 SL500. Thanks to everyone for the great help! The part is available from parts.com for $60.00 + shipping & handling. Came to a grand total of $73.00 & some change. Dealer price was $98.00 + tax. I got varying opinions about the difficulty of the project, and the U-Tube videos by Tamango were a big help. I kinda found out the hard way that all you have to do is remove the four screws on the inside edge of the console lid, and lid/spring assembly lift right out. The spring is held in place by two pins w/tiny [and I mean tiny] snap rings. Just pop them off, and replace the spring. I was under the impression that a majority of the console had to be removed, so took a lot apart that wasn't necessary. It was an interesting, learning experience. I was intimidated at the thought of doing anything to the car myself, but my confidence has soared. A few comments revealed the fact that several people didn't even know that the lid was spring loaded, and supposed to lift its self. Now that it's workin', it's really kinda cool! Now, if I can only get my radio back from German Audio Tech [E-Bay]! They state same day service/shipping once they receive the unit. Don't believe them!

·
Registered
1997 SL500
211 Posts
Well, I posted a question a few weeks about replacing the Pop-up spring/cylinder on the console lid of my '96 SL500. Thanks to everyone for the great help! The part is available from parts.com for $60.00 + shipping & handling. Came to a grand total of $73.00 & some change. Dealer price was $98.00 + tax. I got varying opinions about the difficulty of the project, and the U-Tube videos by Tamango were a big help. I kinda found out the hard way that all you have to do is remove the four screws on the inside edge of the console lid, and lid/spring assembly lift right out. The spring is held in place by two pins w/tiny [and I mean tiny] snap rings. Just pop them off, and replace the spring. I was under the impression that a majority of the console had to be removed, so took a lot apart that wasn't necessary. It was an interesting, learning experience. I was intimidated at the thought of doing anything to the car myself, but my confidence has soared. A few comments revealed the fact that several people didn't even know that the lid was spring loaded, and supposed to lift its self. Now that it's workin', it's really kinda cool! Now, if I can only get my radio back from German Audio Tech [E-Bay]! They state same day service/shipping once they receive the unit. Don't believe them!
This has been on my list of things to do for awhile, glad to hear it was such an easy install! Having worked on my Benz, I've realized that once you start to understand the engineering/design, these cars aren't too hard to work on (mistakes are just extremely expensive)

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1997 SL500 Sport
132 Posts
I didn't make the original post however, I also put a spring in to help the console lid pop open. I got tired of having to use two hands to open the lid and, I didn't want to spend $60.00 for a new mercedes (Spring, shock ) or whatever you want to call it. So, I went to Ace hardware ( they have a great selection of small springs) I found a spring that just large enough to fit around the shaft of the shock. it took several tries to get the correct spring rate and spring length. But in the end it works. Now keep in mind that this will not work as the original shock did. It will not rais the lit all the way. However, It will pop the lid open just enough so you can lift it with one hand.
I probably have a picture or two. I look for them and post later. This seems like it's becoming a popular topic for those not wanting to get ripped off for $60.00 for a 1/2" X 5" little shock

·
Registered
1997 SL500
211 Posts
I didn't make the original post however, I also put a spring in to help the console lid pop open. I got tired of having to use two hands to open the lid and, I didn't want to spend $60.00 for a new mercedes (Spring, shock ) or whatever you want to call it. So, I went to Ace hardware ( they have a great selection of small springs) I found a spring that just large enough to fit around the shaft of the shock. it took several tries to get the correct spring rate and spring length. But in the end it works. Now keep in mind that this will not work as the original shock did. It will not rais the lit all the way. However, It will pop the lid open just enough so you can lift it with one hand.
I probably have a picture or two. I look for them and post later. This seems like it's becoming a popular topic for those not wanting to get ripped off for $60.00 for a 1/2" X 5" little shock
Do you happen to recall what gauge the spring was?

·
Registered
1997 SL500 Sport
132 Posts
Ok, I found two pictures. The first shows the spring on the Shock shaft. The second shows the shock and limit switch. The od of the spring must be smaller than the limit switch openin.

I don't know that Wire gauge or, Spring rate of the spring. I bought several and it was a trial and error thing.

Shock2.jpg

shock1.jpg

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport (W204) Retired, 2014 C250 Coupe Retired, 2017 C300 coupe & 1998 SL600 Sport (R129)
496 Posts
I've gotta do this too. I also never knew it was supposed to pop up. However, I can't believe we are not smart enough to find a second source for this, it's a simple gas spring. McMaster Carr has hundreds of them. I might just take mine apart so we can measure it up....
RP

·
Registered
1997 SL500 Sport
132 Posts
I think you will find it easier to find a replacement than take yours apart.

It's solid on one end and crimped on the other end, It doesn't come apart. I tried!

also, I'm not sure that this is a gas spring. Mine had some oil on the rod end.
It might be hydraulic.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport (W204) Retired, 2014 C250 Coupe Retired, 2017 C300 coupe & 1998 SL600 Sport (R129)
496 Posts
I didn't mean take the spring apart. You are right, its a non servicable part, but maybe rather then buying an OEM Mercedes part, we can find one like this...

McMaster-Carr

They are closer to $40 if we can find the right one....

RP

·
Registered
1997 SL500
211 Posts
I didn't mean take the spring apart. You are right, its a non servicable part, but maybe rather then buying an OEM Mercedes part, we can find one like this...

McMaster-Carr

They are closer to $40 if we can find the right one....

RP
Make sure you account for whatever hardware you're using to mount each end when you measure length

·
Registered
1997 SL500
211 Posts
Ok, I found two pictures. The first shows the spring on the Shock shaft. The second shows the shock and limit switch. The od of the spring must be smaller than the limit switch openin.

I don't know that Wire gauge or, Spring rate of the spring. I bought several and it was a trial and error thing.

View attachment 491407

View attachment 491408
Thanks for the pics! What year is your car? Mine doesn't have that switch (mine has an open Switch built into the light assy), but it could be that the PO just lost/broke it..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the pics! What year is your car? Mine doesn't have that switch (mine has an open Switch built into the light assy), but it could be that the PO just lost/broke it..

So picking up on this thread a few years on; my problem is that whatever is supposed to be on the inside of the unit behind the release button is missing. Some sort of spring holding thing maybe? I have the button, I can push it in to open the unit, but the button just falls off. Anyone know what part I am looking for? Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts