Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if there are any r129 or benz clubs in the san francisco bay area?

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
does anyone know if there are any r129 or benz clubs in the san francisco bay area?
I grew up in the bay area (Marin)...... I, also wish there was an R129 club down here in Orange County. I did go to a member meet, but I was the only R129 there.

Here in Corona Del Mar, there are 2 R129's just on my block, besides me. They wave, but don't stop to 'talk cars'.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will keep you on my list Mountie!
I am in So Cal/LA for a few months a year. But mostly in Sonoma.
We can search for members together?

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
I will keep you on my list Mountie!
I am in So Cal/LA for a few months a year. But mostly in Sonoma.
We can search for members together?
The members are reading this also....... I also inquired about getting together, but not much of a response. Actually nothing about meeting.

Too bad...... A lot of good ideas & information could be shared, when our cars are next to each other.

( BTW , I have family members living in Penngrove & town of Sonoma)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The members are reading this also....... I also inquired about getting together, but not much of a response. Actually nothing about meeting.

Too bad...... A lot of good ideas & information could be shared, when our cars are next to each other.

( BTW , I have family members living in Penngrove & town of Sonoma)
Ahh, thats rough... And i totally agree with you.
If you hear anything from other members i would love to know about it.

Also, I am in Rohnert Park, which is very close to Penngrove. So if you are ever around, id be more than happy to work something out.

Thanks !
Andrew

·
Registered
1991 500SL; 2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
87 Posts
And... 7 years later, same question: is there a R129 club in the SF Bay Area? I just bought a '91 SL, and would love to meet other R129 owners... perhaps in San Mateo's Mimi's Cafe on a Saturday. Any takers? It only takes two to start a club and put a fun drive together. Let me know!

·
Registered
02 SL500 w/Pano / 104k
866 Posts
I'm down here in the LA area (Ventura County). We had a number of r129 owners get together in OC a few years ago. I joined both the Ventura and LA chapters of the MB Owners Club....

Eh....these folks rather just show off their cars and their money. No desire to share information, help another member, or give any tech advice.

I used to be the Pres of the So Cal chapter of the Volvo Owners Club of America. Much different crowd.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lol, Mike, I was hoping to meet up with R129 owners who love wrenching away on their cars (you seem to be the type)! We shall see, I suppose, but thanks for your comment.

Like you, I used to be Prez. of a car club, up in NorCal - Alfa Romeos - and boy do tech questions fly and bodies get splayed on the ground under cars when we met! That was (and still is) a lot of fun.

I just completed my first successful project on the SL this morning - replaced the rear shocks; I had to rip out most of the trunk covering just to get to the shock towers, but that was fun, and saved me about $400 in shop labor; however, now when I make a fast left-hander, the roll-bar pops up - I think that I messed up the "roll" sensors down by the rear suspension; I may have to visit a shop after all. Next up, tie-rods, steering damper, and center link, followed by, "gulp", engine and tranny mounts.

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
Corona Del Mar, my old hangout, lived in Newport for 35 years, now in Temecula pop about 100k, in the last 4 years owning a R129 I've seen maybe 8 here, Idea, may be lame but, you could do a virtual meet on Periscope App, (Twitter owned)that app you can have group scopes , where you could share your ride live and get comments from group members only.plus there's replay so lots of R129 could be shared, iPhone or android , I do live art on Periscope and have viewers who buy it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Corona Del Mar, my old hangout, lived in Newport for 35 years, now in Temecula pop about 100k, in the last 4 years owning a R129 I've seen maybe 8 here, Idea, may be lame but, you could do a virtual meet on Periscope App, (Twitter owned)that app you can have group scopes , where you could share your ride live and get comments from group members only.plus there's replay so lots of R129 could be shared, iPhone or android , I do live art on Periscope and have viewers who buy it.
Worth a try. I'm also hoping to go driving with other owners, it's a car after all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1995 SL 500
58 Posts
I'm down here in the LA area (Ventura County). We had a number of r129 owners get together in OC a few years ago. I joined both the Ventura and LA chapters of the MB Owners Club....

Eh....these folks rather just show off their cars and their money. No desire to share information, help another member, or give any tech advice.

I used to be the Pres of the So Cal chapter of the Volvo Owners Club of America. Much different crowd.
LAMike you still have a Volvo?
I have a few still in the stable and recently got my "new to me" R129 back in shape to drive legally and safely.
It took a while and I'm still working on soft top issues, but all around the engine and other systems are fine.
Would love to meet up with you and any other Los Angeles or OC locals to talk shop! :smile Ventura and Irvine are not that far for me.

I haven't been in the Bay area for a while but plan a trip in the near future. Is that 880 traffic still a bear??

Cheers,

CJLomax

·
Registered
02 SL500 w/Pano / 104k
866 Posts
LAMike you still have a Volvo?
I have a few still in the stable and recently got my "new to me" R129 back in shape to drive legally and safely.
It took a while and I'm still working on soft top issues, but all around the engine and other systems are fine.
Would love to meet up with you and any other Los Angeles or OC locals to talk shop! :smile Ventura and Irvine are not that far for me.

I haven't been in the Bay area for a while but plan a trip in the near future. Is that 880 traffic still a bear??

Cheers,

CJLomax
CJ,

I had 5 Bricks. My fave was my 82 242 Intercooled Turbo. Bought it from a little old lady in Leisure World in Laguna. Original owner, all receipts from new.

Alas, I sold that car in 2006 and have been Brickless since.

A So Cal meetup would be great, but should be in a different thread.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A So Cal meetup would be great, but should be in a different thread.
Much appreciated, but post a link here to your SoCal meetup thread? I'd like to know how it goes - thx.

Interstate 880 is still a bear, unless your R129 is full-on electric.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts