Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1991 500 SL
19 Posts
I try to open that file , but when i put my cursor on it I have (xxx) and i have all the reply of people but not the procedure of msmith66. I also take a look at the other threads of msmith66 and most of them are the same thing, is it a question of menbership or something like that??

·
Premium Member
1996 S-500 white
1,767 Posts
thank you lynns for the video!!!
DEEJAY:
Just Remember One Thing Before You Start
#1 Do I Really Want To Get Into Thia Job?
#2 Never Ever Have Leftover Parts, Be Organized
#3 When Your Wife Of Girl Friend Comes Out To See What Your Doing, Let What Ever She Sez Go In One Ear And Out The Other Ha Ha, Or Just Tell Her To Leave You Alone :D, You Might Tell Her If You Don't Get It Fixed That She Can Buy You A New Benz :p

DEEJAY
I Wish You Well In Your Big Job, You See I Been There And Done That On My 1989 300 SEL, And Remember To Stay Cool And Take Pictures As You Get Along With The A/C Job, And Don't Buy Chit Parts Buy Good Parts, Dryer, Evaporator And Expantion Valve And Do The R134 Chang Over If You Now Have R12, and Pump It Down For About 3 Hours.

Good Luck
Harley03joe :Smoker:
Here Are Pics Of My 1989 SEL 300
The Truth Is I Had 3 Screws Left Over :mad:

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
935 Posts
A drier a year will keep the mechanic away

Well, I disagree with Lee Wireless' earlier statement. Driers are not a maintenance item and I don't think you will find a service interval on them in the manual. There is no good reason to open a perfectly working A/C system just to change a drier. To do so only increases the risk of contamination.

Unfortunately I failed to heed my own advice regarding changing the receiver drier every year. In June 2005 I had MB change my Evaporator to the tune of $4700 including new fan, seals and receiver drier. 4 1/2 years later, bam. Evaporator fails just like I knew it would from past experience with American cars. My first MB (300CD) had the drier changed every year by me for 14 years with zero issues. Of course I was a lot younger then and did all my own maintenance on it. I did the same thing with the next three MB vehicles (300E, ML320 and 560SEC) and no Evaporator issues. So after this latest Evaporator failure on my 95 SL, I'll guarantee you I will be changing the drier out each year on both of my 95 and 05 SL500. Hope you don't have the same problem. Good luck

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
I don't think that you should replace the drier that often.
But you are free to do so.

From what I know... the drier does two things, one is to slowdown the oil to the compressor, the other is it has a bag with material to absorb water/condensation.

In your case I wonder where are you getting the acids to burn the evaporator walls?

Food for thought.

Or you may have a bad ground.
The electricity is using the evaporator, and sometimes the radiator to get the needed ground.

So your problem could be electrolysis?
Are you also blowing radiators?

Regards,
aam.

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
The driers are at Autohaus for $18 and a A/c service including installing my supplied Dryer is another $163. recommended every year. I may stretch it to 2yrs due to low mileage but haven't decided yet. The cooling was much improved after the last service

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
Norman,
Maybe I misunderstood you..
IF the system is NEVER open.

OK,
It normally leaks like, every few years.
I add a little refrigerant, there is no need to replace the drier.
Look at the refrigerators, and many a/c equipments, as long and they are SEALED, can run for decades with the same drier.

Now if you had a blown compressor.
That is an other story.

Trying to save you some $$$. ;)

Regards,
aam.

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
Albert as usual you are right.

I had work done after the dreaded rubbing hose burst.

I listened to the engineers recommendations and took them on board,
we are not allowed to obtain the gas over here, in case we release it into the depleting ozone layer.

But on reflection I will SAVA DA MONEY and have it serviced when I feel it is
not at it's best. :thumbsup:

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
Albert as usual you are right.

I had work done after the dreaded rubbing hose burst.

I listened to the engineers recommendations and took them on board,
we are not allowed to obtain the gas over here, in case we release it into the depleting ozone layer.

But on reflection I will SAVA DA MONEY and have it serviced when I feel it is
not at it's best. :thumbsup:

Norman friend,
Com on over,
I have enough refrigerant to last us a life time. Lol.

Regards,
aam.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts