Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, and thank you for your time. I have a 91’ 300SL 24. The EZL failed (we’re certain) and it’s had me without wheels for a week now. I’m a young guy, but a huge fan of the r129. I think it’s just one of the most amazing machine ever built. Almost every part of it has a unique and innovative story as deep and rich as my grey pearl metallic paint job. I’m able to afford the car because, with the help of my good friend Tom who owns two r129 500s (one early, one late model), I do all of the maintenance and restoring myself. But, this EZL failure is a little heavy duty on your new friend’s pockets. So I’m reaching out to see if there’s another enthusiast out there that has an EZL and would be willing to take an actual amount of money that I have. They’re like $400 on eBay, and you don’t know if the one you get is even going to work, or if it’s just someone else’s old broke one. I’ve read even the remanufacturers send back bad ones sometimes. I’m missing work and opportunities, and a man needs his wheels, you know, and I need an EZL not a refund from paypal in 6 weeks. So if there’s anybody out there that can help me out, or even if you just know the interchangeable part numbers for the Bosch 0 227 400 736 aka MB part # 010 545 95 32 09 so that maybe I could find one for less, you’d really be helping a guy out. Thanks again to everyone on this forum that’s provided me with so much useful information. I’m going to hit the post button here in a second and wait for 6 people to tell me to check the ignition coil. (I told you I read this forum a lot) But seriously, I’ll go fill in the rest of my profile now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
97 SL500, 98 E320 Wagon, 2002 ML500 - former W108/W112/W114/W123/W124/W126/W140/W220
6,270 Posts
Have you checked with these guys?

G7 Computers

Never heard of them myself, but they came up in a Google search. Might be worth a call. Having had to source an EZL a few years ago for a W140, you're far better off getting something that's been rebuilt and has a guarantee than buying a used part.

·
Registered
E60RS
397 Posts
I have one. Still in a running driving car. P/n is 0135458332

$250 shipped

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,689 Posts
You all need to get one of these EZL units they are getting very expensive to buy .. And for some models they are no longer availiable new .So get one now or get stuck as time goes by .

·
Registered
E60RS
397 Posts
Part number cross reference...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Everyone, thought I’d do a follow up, and let everyone know how I fixed my car.
I see now that someone did come through for me and was willing to sell me one for $250. That’s great, but I actually ended up going rogue as my financial situation and the rarity of my particular control module put the Mercedes EZL out of reach. Having missed my opportunity to score one for $185, I held out as long as possible trying to avoid spending $400 - $700. After a little bit of research, and a quick 5 lesson on how ignition modules work from my best friend Tom, I got to thinking, The ignition module doesn’t talk to the ECU. One of the reasons I chose a car from this era is because I’m a strong believer that every part on a car should be capable of being rebuilt (you know what I mean) and I don’t like the idea of cars having a central computer. It’s my car. It shouldn’t get hacked, and I should be the smartest thing in it. That’s the same reason I keep SIRI turned off when I’m in there. Admittedly, my dog Hollifield has proven on several occasions that she may be smarter than me, but she doesn’t even have a learner’s permit, so I win.
Back to my point. I put in the MSD Street Fire. Cost $175, it’s new not 30 years old, works great, and now I can even use iridium plugs if I want to. It was a little more complicated than I’m making it sound, but look. I called Bosch. That part new doesn’t exist anymore, and a 30 year old control module, as beautiful and as far ahead of its time as mine was, it’s still a 30 year old computer and unfortunately they’re failing. I think it might be a good idea for anyone who loves the r129 as much as I do to start looking for alternative methods for keeping our girls daily drivers. If I’m assassinated tomorrow, it wasn’t Bruno, but he’ll know who did it.🐺

·
Registered
1991 R129 300SL, 1987 W126 300se
2 Posts
TheWolf I’m glad you did it.. congratulations.. is it okay if you post a picture or 2 here.. I’m still having problem with mine.. also thinking what if we ran out of ignition module and there’s no alternative..

Stay safe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TheWolf I’m glad you did it.. congratulations.. is it okay if you post a picture or 2 here.. I’m still having problem with mine.. also thinking what if we ran out of ignition module and there’s no alternative..

Stay safe
It’s a little different, but still good. There’s things I like about both, and I really haven’t got to dial it in yet, but the MSD Street Fire works, and only cost $175. MSD is Holley, just a subsidiary or something. If you can afford to spend more, I’ve read good things about a company called I.C.E. (I think that’s right. It’s been a few weeks) that makes ignition modules, and people have put them on their Mercedes, and had good results. I want to say the ICE cost as much as the OEM, but is new, and probably definitely superior to the Street Fire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts